Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashbacks

Flashbacks

Images of our last two Sweet 16 games keep popping into my head as both Florida and UNC pretty much dominated us. Both games left a bitter residue.

This has been a remarkable season so far, and today we are basically playing with house money. I just don't want a repeat of our last two Sweet 16 appearances.

I think we have a chance to win, but if we don't, I hope we at least make the game competitive throughout. I would hate to end this season with performances like we had against Louisville or Florida this year.

This group has come too far and has too much to be proud of to go out the same way the last two groups did.

How much of an advantage, if any, does MU have by playing in the last two Sweet 16's? Jim Larranaga (sp?) has coached at that level, but none of his players have been to the second weekend that I know of, outside of maybe the kid who transferred from Florida.

Honestly, I can't imagine it is much of an advantage....at least not enough to make that much of a difference.

I think it could be an advantage - when MU made the tournament in Wade's first year against Tulsa(?), MU was in a timeout and drawing up a game winning play - Wade said he did not want to take the shot. So they designed something else. Don't underestimate the nerves/pressure of a kid who has never been there before.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I think it could be an advantage - when MU made the tournament in Wade's first year against Tulsa(?), MU was in a timeout and drawing up a game winning play - Wade said he did not want to take the shot. So they designed something else. Don't underestimate the nerves/pressure of a kid who has never been there before.
    Exactly. It's a bigger advanatge then some might think or realize, at least in my opinion. MU has been there, done that as far as the sweet 16 goes...Miami never has. This is a "business" trip for MU. For Miami, and the players even spoke to it "were going to enjoy this as much as possible". They are just happy to be here. Let's see how they do when the REALLY bright lights of the Sweet 16 come on, and the nerves really start hitting them. Say what you want about it being "just a basketball game". It's not. Also, don't discount a small advanatge(but an advanatge nonetheless) MU will also have of having played at the Verizon center. Vander alluded to the fact they are "comfortable" there, stay in the same hotel etc.

Good point on having played in the Verizon Center.

UNC dominated us....that is not my recollection of the Florida game. We made a good run at Florida but just couldn't buy a shot from our best players and came up short......I never felt like we were out classed in that game like we were against UNC the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    UNC dominated us....that is not my recollection of the Florida game. We made a good run at Florida but just couldn't buy a shot from our best players and came up short......I never felt like we were out classed in that game like we were against UNC the year before.
    This is how I remember it also. We actually had the ball down 6 with about 4 minutes to play in the Florida game. I remember feeling very disappointed after the Florida game, because it had been so winnable. Florida did not play very well either. I thought we had let a real opportunity slip away.

It is a point I have made earlier. UNC and Florida had much more experience than MU (UNC had been to two Final 4's with some of the players and Florida had been to the Elite 8 the year before). It doesn't take a whole lot to make a difference in a matchup in the Sweet 16. It could be how they start or how they end. The lights are brighter.

I thought experience also played against MU in the Final 4 against KU.

Not saying it is a deciding factor, but to say it has no impact is not correct either.

I was at Newark for the UNC debacle, I drove home accepting that we lost to a better team.

I was numb by the drubbing Florida gave us last year and I resided to the fact that while we should have won that game, they had a more talented roster.

Being so jaded from the last two season, I told my 5 friends who drove down to the game that I'd be watching this one from home and I'll fly overnight if we secure the S16 W.

Needless to say the last two years' blow outs have really tempered my expectations of this team at this level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast