Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With all due respect to all here...can we talk about the game??

With the time off (anyone think Buzz has slept) I have total confidence in Buzz and the staff, as well as the team, to be prepared to play Miami with a game plan that will give us the best chance to win.

I really liked MU's pressure D against Bulter, really wore them down. Like all have indicated, Larkin is far more quick than Clark, but I think we can still wear him down a bit. We played more than half of the second half like there was a minute to go in the game.

With Johnson out that hurts their front line depth. He averaged 7 boards and about 7 points in 20 minutes per game. Not a starter, but a key backup. We need to pound the glass and win the battle of the boards.

Can we limit unforced turnovers in this game?
    Can Davante get Gamble or Kadji in foul trouble early?

I think MU really needs to come out with the attitude they had in the 2nd half of Butler. That was the MU team I remembered during the season. They had a chip. Some energy. A mission. Playing to win, instead of playing not to lose.

Many appear afraid of Larkin. I know he is good, but MU has faced some damn good guards in the BE this season. Some awfully tough matchups as well. Louisville, we did not fair well. The others, though, MU kept the teams in check.

The X-factor to me is that this is MU's 3rd consecutive Sweet 16 and the first for Miami. The last two Sweet 16's, we played teams with more experience than us. NC was a regular in the Sweet 16 and had several players that were to consecutive Final 4's. Florida was in the Elite 8 the year before we played them. MU does have the experience in their favor this year. They have played tough as nails when it counts all season. Hopefully this pushes MU over the edge.

I will be honest, I think if you play this game 10x Miami will win at least 6 of them, that said its one game and anything can happen. All year we have heard how we are just lucky and we have no NBA talent, blah, blah, blah... Our kids are tough, and they will fight to the very end to keep this one close to give themselves a chance to win. I don't see MU blowing away anyone left in this tournament, at this point we need to continue scrapping and hope we get a shot at the end.

Without Johnson Miami may only go 7 deep. A little first half foul trouble will hurt Miami far more than it will hurt MU. Hopefully Vander's driving to the hoop gets rewarded with a few Miami fouls and Davante can draw a couple early ones on the Miami bigs.

I heard Laranaga on ESPN the other morning. He said MU's depth and substitutions makes it really difficult. He said you have to prepare like you are playing more than one team. One minute you are guarding a guy that can shoot from 3 and the next minute you are guarding a player that drives the hoop.

I thought that was an interesting point. Hopefully we can wear Miami down a bit and take advantage of our depth.

I have a very good feeling about this game. Buzz and staff will have MU ready to roll to elite 8.

Marquette will make larkin work a lot on defense. That might have an impact on his offense late in the game. At least that is the prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I agree with this. Part of the reason to attack is to make Larkin expend energy and play defense. Junior needs to be strong and smart with the ball. Can't make the foolish turnover that sometimes he makes.

I also think MU needs a game where someone steps up and plays big time. Maybe someone unexpected.
    I know he is in a major funk, but I'm still a believer in Mayo so I'm picking him as the "someone unexpected". If it is not him, someone has to bring some incremental value that we haven't yet seen in the tourney. At this time of year it is all hands on deck. Taylor's been kind of quiet. Maybe Derrick throws himself into a few passing lanes that turn into fast break points. Someone, anyone!!!
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 03-27-2013 at 02:54 PM.

I think ST could be the X factor, especially since Miami plays 6'10" and 6'11" players at the same time. He is probably better suited to defending Kadji, who likes to shoot from the outside, than either DG or CO. I also think ST could grab some offensive boards. I'd love to see ST get 15-18 minutes in this game.

I had thought Mayo or Taylor when I was writing it. I switched to "someone". I am hopeful one of those two gives something special. They both could tomorrow.

Our bigs will erode Miami. Free throws will be the difference. UM doesn't get them. If they are hitting on the perimeter, MU is in trouble but this is a Sweet 16 game and MU had an extra day to prepare. I expect a MU victory...with Gardner the star.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12