Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With all due respect to all here...can we talk about the game??

With all due respect to all here...can we talk about the game??

I'm with Mac on this one. Look, none of us want Buzz to leave, we all hope he doesn't, but it won't do us any good to speculate on things that may never be, and won't be as long as he's still coaching this team. I understand the angst, I have it to, but right now I'm focused on this team of Warriors trying to advance to the Elite 8 against what I feel is a very beatable Miami team down a big guy and with no depth.

What does everyone see as the keys?? You know Buzz will have a good game plan against Larkin, as he's the key. Illinois showed MU some things on film as to how to slow him down at the very least. Pressure him 40 ft from the hoop, and double team him. My worry is, that at least from the get go, Buzz will have faith in Junior to Guard him one on one, same with Dwill. I think Dwill will do a better job, but he can't do it himself. i'm sure buzz realizes that, but it also took them a half to realize what to do against Rotnei Clark. If Buzz does decide to "D" him up mano e mano, I hope it won't take but a time or two of Junior getting burned before he adjusts. Can't risk it. I also think some zone might be effective. Specifically his "bigger" zone with Jwill, Davante and Chris roaming the back line.

I know Buzz is into being "who we are."

That being said, I would not be at all surprised if Buzz pulls something out of his hat we haven't seen all year.

Maybe we'll see MU employ a box-and-one (or diamond-and-one)? Play Larkin straight up with everyone else in a zone.

Might we even see a triangle-and-two with one defender on Larkin and one on Scott?

I remember Huggins playing the triangle-and-two against Crean one year, and it really threw MU for a loop. And Huggy Bear was a staunch man-to-man advocate (though his last Cinci team played zone). Remember what Rick did to Kentucky with his surprise triangle-and-two?

I'm not saying it will happen, only that I won't be surprised if Buzz does something pretty unorthodox to throw Larkin and Miami off kilter, at least initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I know Buzz is into being "who we are."

That being said, I would not be at all surprised if Buzz pulls something out of his hat we haven't seen all year.

Maybe we'll see MU employ a box-and-one (or diamond-and-one)? Play Larkin straight up with everyone else in a zone.

Might we even see a triangle-and-two with one defender on Larkin and one on Scott?

I remember Huggins playing the triangle-and-two against Crean one year, and it really threw MU for a loop. And Huggy Bear was a staunch man-to-man advocate (though his last Cinci team played zone). Remember what Rick did to Kentucky with his surprise triangle-and-two?

I'm not saying it will happen, only that I won't be surprised if Buzz does something pretty unorthodox to throw Larkin and Miami off kilter, at least initially.
    You know phantom, for whatever reason i have had that feeling as well. That MU is going to have a new "wrinkle" tomm night to slowdown Larkin. I don't know why I feel that, i just do.

I think we will defend Larkin the same way we defended Tu Holloway in '11. The "wrinkle" will be saved for when we match up with IU. Buzz will coach circles around TC and bring us his head on a platter.

In the second half against Butler, we shadowed Clarke quite a bit more than in the 1st half. Won't call it a box in one of course, but they really tried to deny him the ball. That did two things, reduced his touches but also made him work harder to get the ball in his hands, which wore him down. May have contributed to the air ball at the end of the game.

I for one am terrified of Larkin. Not sure how we are going to stop him.

I don't think IU is beating Syracuse.

That being said, I think they are going to defend Miami pretty much how they defended Butler. Pressure full court, wear down their ball handlers, weather the storm and win the game late. I don't think you can double Larkin too much because they move the ball too well and have too many decent shooters. I would run them off the perimeter, force them to put the ball on the floor, and guard the basket with Otule.

Larkin is scary and is similar with the ball to Dominic James. He can shoot better than Dominic, so do you pick your poison and back off him a little to see if he can hit the jumper or possibly double team to get him to get rid of the ball? I'm not sure you can defend him one on one as he'll get into the lane for layups, dumpoffs or kickouts and you run the risk of more three pointers and foul trouble.

Clark has nowhere near the quickness of Larkin. Shadowing Clark was easier for that reason. Plus Clark does not penetrate as well as Larkin does. With Clark we tried to take away the good looks from the perimeter. With Larkin I'm more concerned about his ability to drive. If we play Larkin extremely tight 25-35 feet from the basket, he will blow right by anybody we have and break down our defense leading to wide open shots by either the bigs or the wings.

Larkin is quicker, taller, and a better passer/creator than Clark. He presents a much greater variety of challenges.

Having Johnson out might close up some lanes for Larkin to drive, I think MU needs to attack the hoop early and try and get fouls on their two remaining bigs. We could also try the mentality of letting Larkin get his and try locking down everyone else. Larkin is good, but he isn't perfect, gotta find a way to exploit his weaknesses and hope he might have an off game.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    Having Johnson out might close up some lanes for Larkin to drive, I think MU needs to attack the hoop early and try and get fouls on their two remaining bigs. We could also try the mentality of letting Larkin get his and try locking down everyone else. Larkin is good, but he isn't perfect, gotta find a way to exploit his weaknesses and hope he might have an off game.
    I agree with this. Part of the reason to attack is to make Larkin expend energy and play defense. Junior needs to be strong and smart with the ball. Can't make the foolish turnover that sometimes he makes.

I also think MU needs a game where someone steps up and plays big time. Maybe someone unexpected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast