Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tubby Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Awilhelmscream View Post
    Are they putting them up in East Tower or Carpenter?
    They are in Carpenter
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    How is this helping anything Phantom? You seem to know all of the facts? I don't and neither do you. To continue your name calling rants are pretty childish in my opinion.
    Let's not jump off the ledge. If Buzz were to leave for TX, KY, UCLA or say FL...what can we say? Now, if it were a MN, our eyebrows would be arching. In the meantime, let's stay cool.

If I ever get uber rich - HA - the first thing I am doing is building a state-of-the-art living center for the basketball players. I don't care if it's not even with the other students or student-athletes. Other students or student-athletes don't garner a $370k profit/person annually for the university.

Far too often the title of "student-athlete" is used conveniently by universities and officials when it's to the betterment of them. Just watch the Fab Five documentary and listen to the anger those five had for the actions carried out by corporations and Michigan University to monetize the success of their 18 year old "student athletes."

The fact they don't get even modestly paid is a joke in and of itself and I commend Kentucky for the facilities they've provided their players. Yes, it is a recruiting tactic, but you won't find more deserving students on campus than the ones suiting up to play at Rupp Arena

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    If I ever get uber rich - HA - the first thing I am doing is building a state-of-the-art living center for the basketball players. I don't care if it's not even with the other students or student-athletes. Other students or student-athletes don't garner a $370k profit/person annually for the university.

Far too often the title of "student-athlete" is used conveniently by universities and officials when it's to the betterment of them. Just watch the Fab Five documentary and listen to the anger those five had for the actions carried out by corporations and Michigan University to monetize the success of their 18 year old "student athletes."

The fact they don't get even modestly paid is a joke in and of itself and I commend Kentucky for the facilities they've provided their players. Yes, it is a recruiting tactic, but you won't find more deserving students on campus than the ones suiting up to play at Rupp Arena

So what about the engineering student studying away in the lab, or the business school student working full-time, or even part-time, to pay their way through school. And one of these goes on to become uber-wealthy and donates $100m back to the university. Are they driving more profit than the current MU bball player? What should they get in compensation for their return to the university? And what about in down years when the team doesn't generate as much money...do they deserve a cut in their benefits then?

Basketball athletes receive more than any other student already. They get special tutors. They get access to facilities that no other student gets. They get free room and board. It is not like they get nothing for their efforts. I appreciate everything they do to be ambassadors for the university. But let's not go overboard here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Let's not jump off the ledge. If Buzz were to leave for TX, KY, UCLA or say FL...what can we say? Now, if it were a MN, our eyebrows would be arching. In the meantime, let's stay cool.
    Nukem-not sure if this directed at me? Because I agree with what you are saying and my opinion was directed at Phantom who is blaming the MU admin for everything.

When people mention they should get paid, my response is that perhaps they should not get tuition, room and board. Then maybe they aren't eligible for Pell grants. I think the argument is ridiculous. The game needs to be a game for amateurs. If anything, perhaps we should be limiting the presidents who are maximizing the income created off these kids. The spate of conference change does not cry out for compensating student athletes. Rather, it calls out for university presidents to quit chasing dollars.
    Last edited by Gato78; 03-26-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    When people mention they should get paid, my response is that perhaps they should not get tuition, room and board. Then maybe they aren't eligible for Pell grants. I think the argument is ridiculous. The game needs to be a game for amateurs. If anything, perhaps she should be limiting the presidents who are maximizing the income created off these kids. The spate of conference change does not cry out for compensating student athletes. Rather, it calls out for university presidents to quit chasing dollars.
    Agree completely. The student athletes are getting paid a tuition, room, board and per diem (well, except for after a game!).

The engineering or business student (way to omit the entire College of Arts & Sciences, those losers apparently don't go on to do anything), even if they become "uber-wealthy," won't have a fraction of the impact on the school's national perception and profile that a perennially successful nationally regarded basketball program does. Just look at Dwyane Wade, the Final Four run, joining the Big East and continuing that success - the impact that has made on recruiting (regular students - not basketball students) and the dramatic increase in admission standards is remarkable. That is hard to quantify, but don't pretend a one-time 100m GIFT by an alumnus (by the way, the largest gift in MU history is $51 million) drives "more profit" on an annual basis to MU. The success of the basketball program is critical to the success of the university across the board. It raises MU's profile, helps attract better business and engineering students, and generates tremendous revenue for every other athletic program at MU (none of which are profitable) and the school. It also increases Alumni giving as the Alumni feel proud of their University's accomplishments. How were things going during the Mike Deane era? Making sure they have the best living facilities - considering they spend far more time on campus than the ordinary student (Thanksgiving / Christmas Break / Spring Break / the entire summer) is not going "overboard."

Agree completely 3
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Nukem-not sure if this directed at me? Because I agree with what you are saying and my opinion was directed at Phantom who is blaming the MU admin for everything.
    No problem. My comment was just a general one.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast