Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lingering Questions from Today's Game

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    OTOH, I still don't understand why Davidson defended that the way they did. Maybe they were shell-shocked or something, but that was the exact opposite of how I would have played it.
    Well, with the opportunity of history, you are correct as MU won and Davidson lost. OTOH, I am betting they felt Cohen could defend the interior and they would have the perimeter covered for a kick out. Vander made a very quick move and Davante's screen and roll created additional space. Davidson had both sides covered. Vander was the better player on that play. I don't agree that they had the wrong strategy. Vander just got to the edge quicker than Cohen.

Sultan - I agree completely, only thing I wonder about is if they were so set on Vander going to the right, but still no excuse for the tight coverage on the three line.

Steve Taylor - I recall Buzz saying a few weeks back that when it comes to defensive adjustments with full court pressure, "I looked at Juan and said, do you understand how I want you to play this? He said yes, so I sent him back out there. with the assignment changing with every pass, we can't have someone who doesn't understand how to cover the opponent."

I think that is pretty close to the actual quote. It isn't a matter of who is the better player, who can score etc., it is about who can understands how to defend on the fly as the assignment keeps changing.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I just would have sagged Cohen a bit more...or brought over Jake's defender and take the ball out Blue's hands.

It is obvious to me that they were playing both sides with the way Vander's man was moving. Cohen hedged a bit and was sagging, was pushing Vander outside. I think they felt Cohen could stop Vander from getting to the hoop. Vander just beat him to the edge. Cohen did not move quickly enough.

The strategy, in my opinion, was not wrong. They were just out executed. That happens. It doesn't mean the strategy was not the correct strategy.

If I'm Jake, and I see my guy leave, I go to the basket, get the pass and get a layup. If Cadougan's guy comes over to help, then Cadougan is open for a layup. Tough to double from that position. Plus, you don't know that Blue is going to get the ball. You can't really scheme for that exact play in the timeout. However, Thomas' and Cadougan's defenders should have started in a higher help position. They were "on the help" line, but not far enough "up the line". As Blue gets closer, then they start to "hug" more. Use your body position to help deter penetration. Blue couldn't have gone so hard at the hoop then, and would have given Blue's defender, more time to catch up. That's tough though, in that situation. Those guys aren't use to defending someone as explosive as Blue.

Davidson just saw us drain the threes. Whether told by McKillop or not, that was in their heads on that play.

Taylor made a couple of defensive mistakes in the first half and Buzz decided to go with Anderson. I think Anderson was much worse, but that is just my opinion.

I think MU wanted to wear out the Davidson guards and hence, Wilson played more than normal. That said, MU really struggles on offense with Wilson at the point.

Mayo also missed a few defensive assignments, so again, Buzz went with Thomas.

Wilson plays tougher D than Junior. More aggressive, more in your face. That does wear on the guards. I have no problem with the time that Wilson had.

Mayo did not create offensively when he was in there and missed a wide open 3. Did not penetrate. So, he did not offer much offensively and his defensive rotations really hurt MU as well. Thus, he was out. Buzz is likely trying to get to Mayo anyway he can.

I was as frustrated as the next guy with Anderson yesterday. That said, I do understand and agree with Crisco's analysis. Crisco does a great job of breaking down the strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Steve Taylor - I recall Buzz saying a few weeks back that when it comes to defensive adjustments with full court pressure, "I looked at Juan and said, do you understand how I want you to play this? He said yes, so I sent him back out there. with the assignment changing with every pass, we can't have someone who doesn't understand how to cover the opponent."
    That actually was in reference to the Wisconsin game I believe and I would contend Taylor has made HUGE strides defensively since that point. Case and point, Buzz SUBBED IN Taylor for Blue defensively in the 10 minutes of the Cuse game. How anyone can argue Anderson is a better defender is beyond me. I could count 3 or 4 plays in the last two weeks alone that his over-aggressiveness or mental mishap led to points and/or fouls on other players.

Steve Taylor is not as switchable as Juan. Juan can cover guards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast