Thread: Bracket Observation

Bracket Observation

Looking at the bracket, I would say MU got very lucky with not only the seed, but also the location.

Consider...

Of the other 3 seeds, all make geographic sense (Michigan State playing in Auburn Hills and New Mexico playing in Salt Lake City). However, Florida is playing in Austin, despite Lexington being about 300 miles closer to Gainesville. What if they flipped? Then MU would be in Austin playing Northwestern State, but then looking at the UCLA/Minnesota winner in the next round. Easier 1st game, but that Round of 32 game would be a bear.

Also, what if they got nudged down to a 4, and say Syracuse got MU's 3 in Lexington? Then MU would be playing out in San Jose against Montana, then getting the UNLV/Cal winner. Being in California, it would be a road game atmosphere. The other alternative would be Saint Louis getting MU's 3...then we'd still be out in San Jose, but playing New Mexico State first and then either Oklahoma State or Oregon.

All things considered, it worked out pretty well.

Agree - as much bitching as I have done about the placement over the years, this is pretty darn good. Sure, would have preferred Auburn Hills, but MSU was a higher 3.

Think about that Auburn Hills Region.....

Michigan State - East Lansing is 85 miles away
    Michigan - Ann Arbor is 49 miles away

That would be like Marquette and Wisconsin getting a draw in Kenosha, will be a tough ticket to get in that region.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Agreed. Lexington is slightly further away than both Dayton or Auburn Hills, but not significantly so. And both of those locations had seeds that were pretty much written in stone. (UM and MSU in Auburn Hills....IU and OSU in Dayton.)

All in all I think the committee did MU a big favor.

Still pleasantly shocked at the 3 seed. Was expecting a 5 seed. And,m the location is great as well. Time to play some good basketball. Lets go Warriors....