Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Seeding...?

They're looking at more than just RPI for this stuff, aren't they though?

How in the hell does a team score 17 in one half and 51 in the next? Got to wonder if the Franions who feel the slow down game is the way the game should be played were puking during the second half like a fat kid on a roller coaster yelling, "SLOW DOWN!!! GET ME OFF OF THIS THING!! PLEASE STOP!!!"
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    They're looking at more than just RPI for this stuff, aren't they though?
    Yes...But let's compare MU vs. UW just for fun...

MU

Record vs. RPI

1-50 7 - 6
    51-100 3 - 1
    101-200 8 - 1
    201+ 5 - 0

Away 5 - 6
    Neutral 2 - 2

23-8 overall; BE conference Champions, Head to head win vs. UW, one bad loss vs. UWGB

RPI-12[ SOS-10; Non Conf SOS-140

UW

Record vs. RPI

1-50 7 - 7
    51-100 5 - 2
    101-200 4 - 1
    201+ 6 - 0

Away 5 - 6
    Neutral 2 - 1

will be 21-11 entering the tournament. Bad loss vs. Purdue. Loss to MU head to head. 4th place finish in the B10(technically a tie for 5th).

RPI-35 SOS-18. Non Conf SOS-199

There realistically isn't a HUGE difference between UW and MU right now. We may get the nod because of our head to head win against them, but if they manage to win another one or two I can easily see them leap frog us. According to Bracket Matrix they were the lowest 5 seed coming into today and we were the highest 4 seed as of last night so they have a long way to go, but its not impossible. Had we beaten ND last night id have said we were pretty solid, but now I am nervous.

Update: I did some research back to 2007....and in only 3 instances did a team that had as many as 11 losses get a 4 or a 5 seed.

2011-West Virginia(20-11), but they had an RPI of 11
    2007-USC(23-11)-They made the title game of the Pac 10 that year; Va. Tech(21-11). I can't find RPI records far back enough to tell you what the RPI's of USC and Va. Tech were, but I will bet everything I have that it was nowhere near as high as UW's current RPI of 35.

So, what I'm saying is...only 3 teams since 2007 have gotten a 4 or 5 seed with 11 losses(which UW will have going into Sunday), and in NO instance(a very safe bet) has any of those teams had an RPI as high as UW's is this year. Basically if they got a 4 or 5 seed with that many losses and an RPI in the mid 30's...I'm guessing would be unprecedented in the history of the NCAA tourney since the RPI was implemented(or at least adjusted). And for sure hasn't happened in the last 10 years. Basically it would be an absolute travesty for them to get a 4 or 5 seed this year.

If UW wins tomorrow their RPI won't be in the mid 30's anymore but I agree with you. I went back further and only found 1 4 seed in the last 10 years that was as high as a 4 seed with 11 losses(Maryland won the ACC tourny and got a 4 seed at 19-11 back in 2003 I think).

5 is certainly possible for UW but if history is a guide not very likely

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    If UW wins tomorrow their RPI won't be in the mid 30's anymore but I agree with you. I went back further and only found 1 4 seed in the last 10 years that was as high as a 4 seed with 11 losses(Maryland won the ACC tourny and got a 4 seed at 19-11 back in 2003 I think).

I thought UW was a 6 going into today, and is probably a 5 now. A win tomorrow, and they could very well be a 4. Got a feeling that our old friend TC may get some revenge on Bucky tomorrow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    How in the hell does a team score 17 in one half and 51 in the next? Got to wonder if the Franions who feel the slow down game is the way the game should be played were puking during the second half like a fat kid on a roller coaster yelling, "SLOW DOWN!!! GET ME OFF OF THIS THING!! PLEASE STOP!!!"
    Look at MU VS Cincy for the answer to that question!

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    Look at MU VS Cincy for the answer to that question!
    No, I absolutely refuse to look at any part of this year's MU-Cincy game.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post

Correct marked...After I posted that, I went back a few more years just for kicks. 2003 on Maryland is correct and they did in fact win the ACC tourney. We also all remember the Gerry McNamara 2006 year when Cuse had 11 losses, won the Big East tourney and got a 5. Then in 2004 Ga. Tech also got a 5(I believe) with 11 losses, but they made the titale game of the ACC tourney. So it has happened, but it's rare and it's been under extraordinary circumstances(winning conf tourney title etc), but I'm willing to bet it's NEVER happened with a team with an RPI that high. They are a 6 or a 7 in my estimation.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast