Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: White smoke, we have a new pope.

Yes, he is a Jesuit.

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, 77, of Argentina.

He is the Jesuit intellectual who was the second choice of the conclave that elected Joseph Ratzinger eight years ago. His humility is celebrated; he rides a bus to work, wears an ordinary priest's robe, and lives with an old priest in a simple apartment rather than the archbishop's luxurious residence.

He had his clergy wear garments of penitence for sins committed under the country's military dictatorship. He also espouses church teaching on homosexuality, abortion and contraception. He has no Vatican experience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    Has to be good for us and the B7.
    Obviously the B7-12 had an inside hand here .

Interesting, I thought they would go with a more open, modern mind, but Borgogio appears to be as old school as you can get.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Interesting, I thought they would go with a more open, modern mind, but Borgogio appears to be as old school as you can get.
    Yet apparently him choosing Francis labels him as a reformer already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Emphasis on "old." This dude is 76!

From one of my friends: New Pope is a Jesuit. Marquette 1, Notre Dame 0 in the only game that counts ;-p
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Father Pilarz was just on the CBS Morning News - right at 8:30 AM - he was right on the NYC set with a few other folks - I only caught the last 5 seconds - they were on for about 5-7 minutes I imagine - obviously in NYC for the BE tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Father Pilarz was just on the CBS Morning News - right at 8:30 AM - he was right on the NYC set with a few other folks - I only caught the last 5 seconds - they were on for about 5-7 minutes I imagine - obviously in NYC for the BE tourney.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50142805n

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorCandelino View Post
    Thanks Trevor!!

Fr. P came off quite well in the interview. In fact, I wish they sought more of his insight. I hope he comes around on men's basketball, Buzz and we regular alums. I have heard good things about him from people working at MU but there is uncertainty from those of us who regularly attend home basketball games. I know some of the high rollers like him too. We can see in the interview he can be an excellent spokesman. We just need him to be better engaged with regular MU hoops fans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast