Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton next year?

Dayton next year?

If true, this is surprising to me......IWB?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...cf0a0rZSxkf8IM

Dayton, are you kidding me? Of all of the rumored options they are last in my opinion.

Richmond is growning on me as possible regional rival with Georgetown. St. Louis is a big time sports town and SLU has a lot of potential. Creighton is a fit too.

Dayton? Dayton is in the same state as Xavier and didn't even make the cutoff to go to the A-10 tournament (edit: I was wrong, Dayton got in with the 12 seed). I'd take Richmond over Dayton any day of the week. New state, offers more of the other sports such as lacrosse, and east coast relatively close to Georgetown.
    Last edited by Goose85; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I think DePaul is pushing for them so they might actually be able to beat someone. (Stolen from Scoop.)

From ajerseyguy.

" The main topics are expected to be:

Expansion–Butler and Xavier are the primary targets, with Creighton not far behind, which will give the new Big East a 10 team league for 2014, a configuration which will allow a double round robin home and home conference 18 game schedule."

He still expects Creighton.

http://ajerseyguy.com/

Omaha and St. Louis should attract good crowds for games with the likes of Georgetown and Marquette. No pro sports to draw fans away. That's probably why Dayton's home attendance is solid. In Richmond there's competition between home town rivals. VCU is the hot hand now. When Wainwright was at Richmond the team was doing well. I would pay a lot of American money to know which schools have asked about admission to the New Big East.

Ironically back in the 1960s and even 70s Loyola of Chicago and Detroit would be at the top of the conference addition list. That train has left the station. Loyola would fill the old Chicago Stadium, in the George Ireland days. Spencer Haywood starred for Detroit. They were ranked in the top five when they took on Marquette at the Milwaukee Arena.

Bad decisions put those two schools in the catagory of who cares and cost the both tens of millions in national marketing value.

Dayton? A-10 has a $2M exit fee, while the Missouri Valley has no exit fee. Got to be Creighton before Dayton.

Who cares what the exit fees are? If Dayton pays them, it should have no bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorsNuffSaid View Post
    Dayton? A-10 has a $2M exit fee, while the Missouri Valley has no exit fee. Got to be Creighton before Dayton.

In year one the new Big East has to make a big splash and get multiple teams in the NCAA tourney to set the perception and expectation that this is not a mid major conference and is still a major player in college hoops.

I think Creighton helps to accomplish this more than Dayton, especially if for some reason McDermott would stay (would a move to the Big East help that)?

I know the conference is long term, but in year one the conference needs to make a big splash. I don't think Dayton, who would likely come at any time over the next couple years, would help accomplish a big splash in year one.

Only add a likely NCAA team of your chosen group of options for year one (along with Butler / Xavier). Take another year to decide on teams 11 and 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    In year one the new Big East has to make a big splash and get multiple teams in the NCAA tourney to set the perception and expectation that this is not a mid major conference and is still a major player in college hoops.

I think Creighton helps to accomplish this more than Dayton, especially if for some reason McDermott would stay (would a move to the Big East help that)?

I know the conference is long term, but in year one the conference needs to make a big splash. I don't think Dayton, who would likely come at any time over the next couple years, would help accomplish a big splash in year one.

Only add a likely NCAA team of your chosen group of options for year one (along with Butler / Xavier). Take another year to decide on teams 11 and 12.
    I don't know that they *need* to make a splash, whatever that means, and who says Creighton is a sure fire tournament team next year anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Who cares what the exit fees are? If Dayton pays them, it should have no bearing.
    Because it was mentioned that Xavier and Butler might receive some financial assistance for those exit fees from the new Big East. Hope that wouldn't be the case for Dayton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast