Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA Today Column on the "new" Big East

USA Today Column on the "new" Big East

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...seven/1970967/

But here's the thing about the Catholic 7. Big names, big traditions, but not much in the way of tournament fireworks lately. Connecticut, a school left behind, has done most of the heavy lifting. The Catholic 7 haven't produced a national champion in 26 years. They have accounted for only three appearances in the Final Four in the past 23 springs — or five fewer than Duke.

It is rather shocking to think the new Big East would increase its total number of Final Fours this century by 67% if Butler were added.

They'll need a keener appreciation for the world west of the Appalachians.

The new Big East will still be Big, but much less East. If the above schools all join as expected, that means seven of the 12 members — 58% of the league — will be closer to Chicago than New York City.

I wonder if behind closed doors G-Town is pushing for Richmond in lieu of a Dayton for example to even things out a bit geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...seven/1970967/

I wonder if behind closed doors G-Town is pushing for Richmond in lieu of a Dayton for example to even things out a bit geographically.
    Very good point Caribou

East
    Georgetown
    Villanova
    Providence
    St. Johns
    Seton Hall

Not so East
    MU
    DePaul
    Xavier
    Butler
    Creighton (if the Blue Jay's are #10)

That is 5 east and 5 not so east

SLU - Not so East
    Dayton - Not so East
    Richmond - Very East
    VCU - Very East (I know, likely not in)

I guess I am warming up to the idea of Richmond to balance out East and Not so East. More sport offerings too, including Lax.

I just want to keep G-Town happy in case down the road a suitor comes calling.

When push comes to shove, I think if the "western" schools get Creighton and St. Louis in, that no one is really going to go to bat for Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    When push comes to shove, I think if the "western" schools get Creighton and St. Louis in, that no one is really going to go to bat for Dayton.
    Or...if Creighton and SLU are added, let those Eastern most schools be the main deciders of who the 12th member would be as they would most likely be in the Eastern division.

Quote Originally Posted by irwinfletcher View Post
    or...if creighton and slu are added, let those eastern most schools be the main deciders of who the 12th member would be as they would most likely be in the eastern division.
    No Divisions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse View Post
    No Divisions!!!
    + infinity!!!!

Not a fan of divisions. Just pointing out that of the C7, five are east coast so I'm sure when there is talk of adding schools they would prefer at least one of the five new schools (assuming the conference goes to 12) be from the east coast, which is why Richmond gets attention.

From my understanding, it sounds like MU is fighting for Creighton. Georgetown is fighting for Richmond.

No one else if fighting for anyone.

At least that is how it seems to me.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

why is georgetown so insistent on richmond? Is it geography? Do they have some form of relationship with folks at richmond? I get the mu/creighton connection and it seems as though there must be a relationship of some sort to have them push so hard for richmond and I have not seen a great reason yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast