Thread: Cease and Desist Order for Georgetown

Cease and Desist Order for Georgetown

A group at Georgetown (Casual Hoya) received a cease and desist letter from the Syracuse University Office of Athletic Compliance for a tee shirt that says "Real Criminals Wear Orange".

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/22...and_Desist.pdf

I don't think the Hoya nation liked the Cuse very much. More from the Hoya board at this attached link. A guide to Jim Boeheim and the Syarcuse basketball program history:

http://www.casualhoya.com/2012/12/17...nge-basketball

That last link should be required reading for all college administrators and coaches. Despite the one National Championship and membership in the Basketball Hall of Fame -- I would pick Buzz over Boeheim to be the coach of my favorite college basketball team. Not even close.

Lawyers - how can you send a cease and desists letter when the shirt in question does not mention your school name?

Attachment 497

Oh, but it's ok for Syracuse fans to wear "Your mother's A Hoya" t-shirts, but "Real Criminals Wear Orange" is taboo?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Seems petty for Cuse to try and shut this down. It's a group of college kids, are you really going to go after a bunch of college kids wearing these shirts they had printed for like $5 a pop... Seems silly, they should have bigger things to worry about.

I have to admit, the picture on the 2nd link in the OP was hilarious.

The cease and desist letter does not object to the selling of the shirt, per se. Rather, it objects to the use of current "student-athletes'" names on the shirt. The NCAA prohibits current "student-athlete's" names from being placed on items put up for sale, which is why you can buy a Marquette jersey with the number "0" on it, but not JWil's name on the back. I'm guessing that by sending the letter and copying the Big East's compliance office, Syracuse is covering their big orange butt in making it clear they are not the ones doing this.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

That's a long list of infractions. Perhaps, since he's done a bang up job of cleaning up MU's athletic department, we can can send Larry Williams to Syracuse to clean them up. Clearly, he's ready for a prime time job and $yracu$e is a prime time offender.