Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Williams Article in JS

Larry Williams Article in JS

Bizarre piece. Sounds like he is taking shots at Buzz over the WVU 2 step. Sounds like he is not happy about the Lacrosse situation. No hugging between he and Buzz yesterday in the post game though Fr. Pilarz and Buzz embraced enthusiatically. Mayber Buzz and Larry are at odds? Article was either a hatchet job or something not quite right. I am betting on hatchet job.

My bet is poor writing. I think larry Williams wants to protect Buzz from overheating. Coach is intense to a point I worry about a heart attack sometimes. As for Lacrosse -- that a lot of money. Will it be a financial drain? Can the sport be part of a TV package for the Big East? I believe that was the thinking when it was added. I covered sports out at the University of Virginia and Lacross attracted some pretty good crowds.

Eventually for minor sports that don't generate enough to pay for themselves I see a regional schedule that limits travel costs.

A few things stood out about the article. LW appears to not be convinced about the wisdom of adding lacrosse. The doubts sem to be financially based. He mentions MU would never have scheduled women's soccer against Houston because of travel cost. Wel, there are essentially no Midwest schools playing lacrosse so non-conference travel costs will be high. Plus we added the sport before the massive upheaval in the Big East. Things have changed since the addition. Des it still make sense?

As for the comments about Buzz's dancing, well, he just sounds like a boss. Part of his job is to focus on image and there are some out there who thought the dance was unprofessional.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

I had no problem with the article and I'm glad he sounded like a boss - as much as I like Buzz, Larry is his boss and it was refreshing that he said he was uncomfortable with the dance, but it still sounds like he still has Buzz's back and it was even more refreshing to be so open about the larcosse situation. The more I read about Larry, the more I like.

An odd story. He criticizes Buzz' two step, yet, in a way, takes a shot at the Big East bringing in Houston. How is that different?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Makes it sound like for the money we are putting into Lacrosse we could have thought about football (from Larry's perspective).

Lacrosse is only being funded with partial scholarships. It has a strategic advantage of keeping MU in traditional student recruiting areas liike suburban Chicago and suburban NYC. It was also meant to tie MU into the BIG EAST greater than schools like Seton Hall and DePaul who have less invested in the conference. I think it was well conceived until everything blew up in the BIG EAST.

Who in the Big East has a Lacrosse team besides Syracuse and ND?

Men's lacrosse - ND, Villanova, Syracuse, Rutgers, G'town, Providence, St. John's - soon MU.

Women's lacrosse - G'town, UConn, ND, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova, Loyola MD - soon MU and Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Makes it sound like for the money we are putting into Lacrosse we could have thought about football (from Larry's perspective).
    As much as I'd like MU football, maybe not. He's talking about 80 scholarships for men and women. It would be 85 scholarships for men's football alone.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast