Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Last Home Game - Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdoc View Post
    I have never been much of a letter writer. I wonder how seriously letters in support of Buzz are taken by administration? I'm not a big money guy or donor. Do they care? I do wonder.
    I think a letter to Buzz may be more important.

I'm all for giving love, appreciation, rose petals, whatever. I just object to it being given under the premise that this "might be Buzz's last home game." Are we really that paranoid that the worrying starts even earlier than normal? Did we not just come off an awesome win, but now a day later, it's back to the typical post-season paranoia about our coach (and it's not even post-season yet?)

Buzz deserves our admiration and respect under any circumstances, not just because we are worried that this might be his last home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Sultan,

I disagree with you about not having an impact (changing anyone's mind). Showing Buzz appreciation is a sign of respect. What if Buzz is offered anoither position, and he seriously considers taking it - sitting on the fence so to speak. But he remembers the fans at the BC chanting his name and/or giving him a standing ovation, and/or displaying signs indicating their appreciation.

Plus, you may think demonstrations of appreciation may have no effect on the administration, but you don't know that. I'm pretty certain that LW knows Buzz has support among fans like us that visit MU hoops sites. But we can be semi-easily dismissed as the "lunatic fringe." Some 15,000 - 16,000 fans giving Buzz a standing ovation and chanting his name when he is introduced, however, is a different matter. It sends a loud, clear, and powerful message that more than we fanatics want Buzz to stick around.

The bottom line is this: there really is no "wrong time" or "not the time" to demonstrate appreciate for a coach. There is absolutely no harm in such demonstrations - no negatives whatsoever - and some potential plusses.

You just bristle at any potential criticism of LW and Pilarz.

No, kneel said it best. I bristle at the paranoia, the self-loathing, and the naivety that chanting the guys name is going to make a difference one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    I'm all for giving love, appreciation, rose petals, whatever. I just object to it being given under the premise that this "might be Buzz's last home game." Are we really that paranoid that the worrying starts even earlier than normal? Did we not just come off an awesome win, but now a day later, it's back to the typical post-season paranoia about our coach (and it's not even post-season yet?)

Buzz deserves our admiration and respect under any circumstances, not just because we are worried that this might be his last home game.
    This is perfectly stated.

Under ordinary circumstance, I think it not only appropriate but also desirable to show Buzz some much-deserved respect at the last home game of the season. He has done a remarkable job with this group. Remarkable. Fans should giv e him a standing ovation and chant his name whether there was an ominous cloud on the horizon or not.

But these are not ordinary circumstances, and they haven't been since Cottingham got unceremoniously made the fall guy and shown the door. To pretend otherwise is being naive. It's possible the situation has changed, but it was sufficiently well-known to have been commented on in the national media.

The bottom line is that Buzz deserves the fans' public expressions of sincere appreciation. And if LW is there, let alone Pilarz, so much the better. For that matter, I'd love to see the t.v. commentators comment on said demonstrations of appreciation.

Kneel and Sultan hit on the head. Buzz deserves attention, chants, cheers, etc. for the coaching job he has done this year and every year here at Marquette. Buzz has coached his ass off in molding a talented but mish-mosh group of players to 11 Big East wins so far and a real chance at a protected seed in NCAA's.

However, we can discuss the potential issues between Buzz and the administration later, and not before one of biggest home games in years and following an awesome home win.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234