Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Home Game - Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    This. Not the time and place, especially on the free board.
    The Final Four starts in about 30 days, and is when a lot of coaching vacancies are filled. There really isn't any better time to make sure the Admin knows that the fan base simply will not accept a "Program is bigger than any Coach, a lot of great coaches want to come here, etc." kind of attitude.

Buzz already has 116 wins in less than five full seasons and what will be 5 NCAA appearances. Al had 90 and two. Hank had 107 and 4. TC had 102 and two with a F4. Deane had 100 and two. Hank's is perhaps the best comparison. Rick and KO never made it to five years. MU fans should cherish Buzz every game.

Buzz inherited four high major players and not much else. Crean did the best he could but he did not hand over a team with the depth of the current Marquette squad. Hank and Deane inherited rosters that for the time were in pretty good shape. Rick had to deal with a lack of administration support and a radically changing college basketball scene. KO had to do a total rebuild.

So many times comparing coaches and transitions -- well it's apples and oranges and different eras. That said it's my opinion Buzz has the best skill set of any Marquette coach.

With the conference changes Marquette needs a stable coaching situation. It's good Management 101 stuff.

A footnote that really hasn't been talked about this season is the job Buzz did rebuilding his coaching staff. From top to bottom this is an outstanding group. The best since McGuire, Raymonds and Majerus.

What annoys me the most about threads like these, is that we only have about five or six of them per week. Look, everyone likes Buzz. I'm sure the administration has heard it from dozens of people. The student section chanting his name isn't going to do one thing to change anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaWarrior View Post
    A footnote that really hasn't been talked about this season is the job Buzz did rebuilding his coaching staff. From top to bottom this is an outstanding group. The best since McGuire, Raymonds and Majerus.
    Watching Buzz interact with his assistant coaches during the game is interesting as well. Ball will go out of bounds and MU is inbounding, Buzz will quick turn, get feedback from an assistant, and then yell instructions to the team. Seems he really looks for Wainwright on those type of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    What annoys me the most about threads like these, is that we only have about five or six of them per week. Look, everyone likes Buzz. I'm sure the administration has heard it from dozens of people. The student section chanting his name isn't going to do one thing to change anyone's mind.
    It's not to change anyones mind, it is to discuss showing appreciation for Buzz and this really great season in the last home game of the year.

Sultan,

I disagree with you about not having an impact (changing anyone's mind). Showing Buzz appreciation is a sign of respect. What if Buzz is offered anoither position, and he seriously considers taking it - sitting on the fence so to speak. But he remembers the fans at the BC chanting his name and/or giving him a standing ovation, and/or displaying signs indicating their appreciation.

Plus, you may think demonstrations of appreciation may have no effect on the administration, but you don't know that. I'm pretty certain that LW knows Buzz has support among fans like us that visit MU hoops sites. But we can be semi-easily dismissed as the "lunatic fringe." Some 15,000 - 16,000 fans giving Buzz a standing ovation and chanting his name when he is introduced, however, is a different matter. It sends a loud, clear, and powerful message that more than we fanatics want Buzz to stick around.

The bottom line is this: there really is no "wrong time" or "not the time" to demonstrate appreciate for a coach. There is absolutely no harm in such demonstrations - no negatives whatsoever - and some potential plusses.

You just bristle at any potential criticism of LW and Pilarz.

No matter what anyone says, EVERYONE likes to feel appreciated.....

If you don't feel appreciated at home, no matter how much you may like your home, you start seeking it elsewhere - it's basic human nature.....

I see no harm in letting Coach Buzz know that he is appreciated by those of us "outside the bubble" of the athletic department/basketball program/administration.....

Coach Buzz is the man! I hope everyone in the Marquette administration is letting him know this and making him feel as if he has full university support. Not to do so would be not only foolish but would lead to a lot of angry alumni.

I have never been much of a letter writer. I wonder how seriously letters in support of Buzz are taken by administration? I'm not a big money guy or donor. Do they care? I do wonder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast