Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East name

Now secure MSG for the tourney...

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Now secure MSG for the tourney...
    Winner, winner, caribou dinner.

Keeping the Big East name is nice, but MSG is the key. Assuming the B7 get MSG, there will need to be an official IWB board gathering at a local watering hole in midtown during the first tournament, as Hizzoner assumes most on this lard will be there.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

The name's nice, but it is hardly critical.

Big East name is more crucial than MSG imo

I actually don't think either is particularly critical. Both would be nice at a reasonable price, but new brands and new traditions can be developed.

The Big East began and was on the rise as the NIT was fading. The BE Tournament really was kind of a replacement in ways and benefited, from the history of the fabled post-season NIT. I like the Madison Square Garden history and NYC market. How much am I will to pay to keep it? How much is the Big East name worth and would you rather invest the money in developing the resources for your school? Those are the conversations C7 school presidents, AD's and coaches should be having. It's important to keep the coaches in the loop -- they are the people who will make or break you program during this transition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I actually don't think either is particularly critical. Both would be nice at a reasonable price, but new brands and new traditions can be developed.
    Yes, I guess I could go either way on this. While it would be nice to have the name and MSG, these could have the effect of a forever cloud suggesting that the new conference will never measure up to the original. We shall see.

Agreed, I see pro's and con's to both, everyone needs to remember though that getting MSG doesn't come through negotiating with the remaining Big East schools, MSG gets to pick who they go with and may or may not have interest in the B7 or the Big East. The Big East name isn't worth much anymore, everyone will look at it and think its a shell of its former self. MSG on the other hand will hold some value because its not a big deal because of the Big East, it's the Mecca of basketball on its own.

I was watching ESPN the other day and they were preparing for an NBA game. I didn't get the name of the guy lacing up his shoes, but he said, and I quote, "Hell yeah I'm excited for tonight, playing in the Garden? This place is where everyone wants to play. This is the Mecca of basketball. This is the biggest stage in the world."

Now that is an NBA player saying that. It is the biggest stage. I don't care if they don't have Louisville or Syracuse or Pitt. It might not be the same, but no one will talk about the Greensboro Coliseum as the basketball Mecca, it has been and always will be the pinnacle of college basketball!

The name would be great - The Garden is important!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast