Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What will Junior's legacy be?

What will Junior's legacy be?

A month give or take left in his career, more NCAA wins in the past 35 years than every other point guard to be a part of Marquette basketball, except for TD's one year run, with one post-season left. A fairly clutch player who has come up big in a lot of key games, but who has thrown up just as many stinkers in key games. Has never really made a huge jump in skill year to year or added much noticeable to his game. His outside shot has become serviceable when wide open, but he hasn't become a consistent 3 point threat. I can't think of another player who has been a part of so many great wins, but who's legacy is still up in the air this late in their career.

Right place right time point guard with no better options available or just a big winner with flaws in his game?

Right or wrong, I think the next month will dictate his place in the MU point guard hierarchy. Another S16 or E8 (or winning out and getting a share of the big-east championship) and it will be hard to argue against his value over the past 4 years. At the least, he would be in the discussion for best PGs in the past 35 years because of post-season wins. If we fizzle out and exit in our 1st NCAA game, I think people (including me) will try to forget about him as fast as they can say Duane Wilson.

He didn't really play as a frosh and was a bit player really as a soph. Last year he was a key part but DJO and Jae were clearly the headliners.

I see him as a big winner with flaws in his game. I don't think he will ever go down as one of the best PGs in the last 35 years no matter what he or the team does the rest of the way. No way he will be remembered as being better then Smith,Miller,Hutchins, Diener, or DJ and I think most would put him behind Henry as well. All of those guys played in the last 30 years.

I appreciate Junior and he has had some big games for us but we have had some really good point guards over the years.

Junior's turnover issues this year are perplexing. I don't remember him having so many bad turnover games last year (the only one I remember off the top of my head is the Louisville game in the BET). I don't have Pomeroy access, but I'm assuming his TO% is considerably higher this year than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    He didn't really play as a frosh and was a bit player really as a soph. Last year he was a key part but DJO and Jae were clearly the headliners.

I see him as a big winner with flaws in his game. I don't think he will ever go down as one of the best PGs in the last 35 years no matter what he or the team does the rest of the way. No way he will be remembered as being better then Smith,Miller,Hutchins, Diener, or DJ and I think most would put him behind Henry as well. All of those guys played in the last 30 years.

I appreciate Junior and he has had some big games for us but we have had some really good point guards over the years.

I wouldn't call him a bit player as a sophomore. He averaged almost 20 mpg. But honestly, he just hasn't improved and lived up to the expectations placed on him. And kneel, if you compare game logs from this year and last, it looks about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I wouldn't call him a bit player as a sophomore. He averaged almost 20 mpg. But honestly, he just hasn't improved and lived up to the expectations placed on him. And kneel, if you compare game logs from this year and last, it looks about the same.
    That's what I get for going off of memory.

I don't have access either but we are playing at a slower pace and his turnovers per game are the same and he is playing 1 less minute per game then last year....so I think his TO% must be up at least slightly.

Sultan...I guess 19.8 minutes a game is slightly higher then I expected ......but if your point is Derrick Wilson is more of a bit player type then Junior was as a Soph I have no argument with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Junior's turnover issues this year are perplexing. I don't remember him having so many bad turnover games last year (the only one I remember off the top of my head is the Louisville game in the BET). I don't have Pomeroy access, but I'm assuming his TO% is considerably higher this year than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Not if you look at his scoring lines. He's been a far better scorer this year. His season high last year was 15, he met or exceeded that 6 times this year. He didn't score in double figures 6 times all of last year (he's done it 12 times total this year).

answer me these two questions:

1. where does JC rank in NBA players played with in MU history?

2. where does JC rank in BEast PGs for this season?

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    Not if you look at his scoring lines. He's been a far better scorer this year. His season high last year was 15, he met or exceeded that 6 times this year. He didn't score in double figures 6 times all of last year (he's done it 12 times total this year).
    kneel was specifically speaking about turnovers. That is the only stat I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    answer me these two questions:

1. where does JC rank in NBA players played with in MU history?

2. where does JC rank in BEast PGs for this season?

1) Junior has had the good fortune of playing with NBA players but you can use that as a crutch as to why his scoring #s are so low.

2) Using the list below...I'd take JR ahead of DePaul, Rutgers, South Florida, Seton Hall and St. John's PGs.

Cincinnati--Cashmere Wright
    Connecticut--Shabazz Napier
    DePaul--Worhill Clahar (Brandon Young is a 2)
    Georgetown--Markel Starks
    Louisville--Peyton Siva
    Marquette--Junior Cadougan
    Notre Dame--Eric Atkins
    Pittsburgh--Tray Woodall
    Providence--Vincent Councill
    Rutgers--Seagers/Mack/Carter
    Seton Hall--Aaron Cosby
    South Florida--Anthony Collins
    St. John's-Phil Greene
    Syracuse--Michael Carter-Williams
    Villanova--Ryan Archandiacano