Thread: Retiring jerseys.....

Retiring jerseys.....

I know it has been discussed many times before, especially as it relates to D-Wade. While some people wanted his jersey/number retired, others said 'not until he gets his degree'.

I can understand the argument from both sides.

But how about Syracuse this week retiring Carmelo Anthony's jersey after he only went to school there for one year? Ok, I mean after he only played basketball there for one year.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Didn't Melo make a large donation to 'Cuse? Might that have had some influence?

VS

We retired Wade's # right?

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Didn't Melo make a large donation to 'Cuse? Might that have had some influence?

VS
    Didn't he lead them to the title the one year he was there as well? Can't argue with that kind of result.

Retire jerseys is all good with me. I actually prefer ring of fame or something like that. Can't stand retiring numbers.

We aren't looking for grade point averages here. I say put Wade, Chones, etc into the ring of fame, but no retired numbers.

If someone wants to wear #31, fine. When issued the number they need to learn the history of that number at MU and understand the legacy of the number they wear. Maybe even connect with former players to have them provide what wearing that number and MU jersey meant to them.

I'm not hung up on the graduating thing to be honored with the jersey in the rafters. Do you really think Chones would have been better off had he stayed and got his degree? Same with Wade? If Wade donated the money to build a new library I'm sure MU would be ok putting his name on it despite his not graduating.