Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Question for Mark Miller

OT Question for Mark Miller

Hope you don't mind me asking this question here, but what are your thoughts on the high school basketball tournament set up? Do you think that five divisions are a bit of an overkill for Wisconsin?

I mean, when I see schools like Milwaukee Washington in Division 2, it seems jarring to me given their history as a D1 school. I know there was controversy over the private schools, but I'm not sure the expansion actually corrected it or made it worse...if it was really a problem at all.

I don't think the five division format was due to the private schools. I believe the reason for it was for the smaller public schools that previously were in Division 1. Personally, I don't like it, but it doesn't really affect the lower divisions except moving them down a division, collectively as a group.
    Last edited by Mucrisco; 02-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.

My view is that there should be two divisions...period. Its nice to have more champions...but...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I don't think the five division format was due to the private schools. I believe the reason for it was for the smaller public schools that previously were in Division 1. Personally, I don't like it, but it doesn't really affect the lower divisions except moving them down a division, collectively as a group.
    OK, I can understand that then...thanks.

I think Mark is on record as not being a fan of the new setup

No one asked me directly, but my feeling is five isn't enough. The WIAA should create at least 10 divisions in boys' and girls' basketball. That way twice as many teams could call themselves state champions and twice as many could claim that they were runners up or came in second at State.

In fact, I'm not sure 10 is enough. Twelve divisions might be even better.

For the record, I jest. The current set up is a huge bowl of sugar-coated crapola.

I agree Phantom. I grew up in the single class system that then transferred into the 3 class WIAA system and a state appearance could be a once in a generation appearance and you could appreciate how special it was. I know what that they are trying to divide the number of schools into 5 divisions by enrollment and other factors (private schools), but it's truly watered the state tournament down.

If it were up to me, they'd go back to 3 classes with the largest class getting 8 schools to Madison and the other 2 getting 4 like years back. That won't happen, so 4 divisions or classes with the largest getting 8 to Madison would be my choice. The tournament isn't hardy worth watching anymore in the current context, to me anyway. I want to see the top kids and the chances that Deonte Burton gets to Madison this year is diminished since only 4 D1 schools make it to Madison and Vincent had to beat South yesterday and still has Rufus King and Hamilton waiting in the wings in the sectional.

Wisconsin is small enough where there should only be 2 classes (maybe three if they want to be extra generous). If a state 10 times bigger than WI like California has only 5 divisions, then it's painfully obvious WI has far too many.

I was fine with 4 classes.

5 classes is too many.

Wisconsin High School Basketball should be 4 divisions not 5, and football should be 5 divisions not 7.

Surrounding states:

Illinois: Population 12,875,255
    Basketball: 4
    Football: 8

Michigan: Population 9,883,360
    Football: 8

Indiana: Population 6,537,334
    Football: 5

Wisconsin: Population 5,726,398
    Basketball: 5
    Football: 7

Minnesota: Population 5,379,139
    Football: 6

Iowa: Population 3,074,186
    Football: 4
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast