Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mayo and/or Crowder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Players don't mind playing in Green Bay because they win. True. But the Packers also have a mystique about them especially in regards to the cold. However, they come in during the spring, summer and fall, and are only in Wisconsin for about a month of the cold.

The NBA players are pretty much only in Wisconsin when it is cold and crappy. I had a talk with a coach a while back about the fact that free agents don't want to play in Milwaukee. I mentioned that the problem is that none of them are here over the summer when there is a lot to do and the city looks beautiful. That coach agreed, said the only time NBA players come into town are when they play the bucks and it is cold, gray and sleeting. He agreed it really throws their opinions about Milwaukee off.
    Not sure I agree about the Packers, as the Pack gets very few high level free agents. Reggie White came for two reasons, a ton of money (pre salary cap) and Brett Favre. Woodson came because his value on the market wasn't what he thought it was, and the Pack overpaid (at the time, looks like a steal now). Can't really think of another high level - highly sought after free agent that came to the Pack.

The Bucks are not going to get top level free agents, so they have to somehow find a core of players through the draft, and then sign mid level guys that can play around them. Not easy to do as the NBA draft is about as much of a crap shoot as anything.

Right now the Bucks have to decide if you can build a winning team around Jennings and Ellis. If the long term answer is no, then trade them and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Not sure I agree about the Packers, as the Pack gets very few high level free agents. Reggie White came for two reasons, a ton of money (pre salary cap) and Brett Favre. Woodson came because his value on the market wasn't what he thought it was, and the Pack overpaid (at the time, looks like a steal now). Can't really think of another high level - highly sought after free agent that came to the Pack.
    Part of that is because the current Packer administration doesn't seek them out.

But under Ron Wolf they signed Eugene Robinson, Seth Joyner, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, Keith Jackson...all of whom essentially hanging on for one more shot at a ring. Under Mike Sherman they signed Joe Johnson, who was completely forgetable as a Packer but considered a major signing at the time.

Sultan is correct with the reason that Ted Thompson does not go after free agents.

Ron Wolf also got his defensive line - Sean Jones, Santana Dotson and Gilbert Brown.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Gilbert was a waiver wire acquisition. 4th rounder who the Vikes cut his rookie year.

Don't forget about Ryan Pickett.

The Packers had opportunities to acquire some first class FA's. Some that wanted to play there. Thompson has chosen not to since he acquired Pickett and Woodson.

Ron Wolf did try to get free agents.
    Rison was cut mid season and did not really have other options - not an offseason free agent.
    Traded for Keith Jackson, and he almost retired instead of coming to GB.
    I'm not sure Seth Joyner even started, or maybe I should say he shouldn't have started.
    Robinson was a very good pickup.
    Not sure Don Beebe was a top level free agent, but good player.
    Joe Johnson was a big free agent - unfortunate.

I guess the point is the Bucks are not dream destination site for top level players so I don't expect any to come to Milw. That's not really Kohl's fault, it is a Wisconsin / cold weather thing. No top guy would choose Cleveland, so Lebron left. Min can't get anyone to join him in Min. Cold weather states are a tough sell for top level free agents.

Edit - nice call on Jones and Dotson IWB, that superbowl team did have a free agent front line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234