Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayo and/or Crowder?

Unfortunately, like the Brewers, they aren't going to get any better until they get new ownership.

The Senator is in a no win situation. He wants to sell the team, and has for many years. He cannot find a buyer who will keep the team in Milwaukee. I give the man credit for giving us crappy NBA hoops rather than no NBA hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    The Senator is in a no win situation. He wants to sell the team, and has for many years. He cannot find a buyer who will keep the team in Milwaukee. I give the man credit for giving us crappy NBA hoops rather than no NBA hoops.
    Oh I agree with you. But crappy basketball is all Milwaukee is going to get with him owning it.

Sell them and let Milwaukee be Marquette's town basketball wise... They can own the city like Louisville does.

The Senator, like many NBA owners, are basically screwed in this day and age of the NBA and have been for awhile.
    I don't balme him for what the NBA has created, a star system with big city appeal.

Can't attract top level free agents because you are Milwaukee. Lebron, Kobe, Howard, Paul, Anthony, etc. These guys would not consider Milwaukee. Lebron was in Cleveland and they couldn't get anyone to join him there so he went to Miami.

Even when you are bad, it has to coincide with a good draft year.
    #1 pick Lebron. Next year Dwight Howard. Then the Bucks turn and Bogut is the best choice.
    You have to get lucky when you do have a high pick that there is a Kevin Durrant, Rose, Griffen, Duncan. Bucks haven't been. The Senator can't control that.

Even teams that tank a season to get a high pick don't necessarily turn things around. Is Nerlens Noel going to turn around a franchise? Is Anthony Davis turning around the Hornets?

Maybe the Senator has meddled in the past, but he has also written the checks to keep a money losing team here. Not sure the senator could turn Bogut into Tim Duncan.

So what should the owner do now? Give max money to Jennings? Try for playoffs this year or make trades to gut the team and hope to get lucky in the draft?

I understand it is a star driven, big city league. But San Antonio and OKC are exceptions to that rule.

In some respects this reminds me of the Selig excuse making with the Brewers. It certainly *can* be done. It's hard and the Bucks may never get to a championship level...but it certainly can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    The Senator, like many NBA owners, are basically screwed in this day and age of the NBA and have been for awhile.
    I don't balme him for what the NBA has created, a star system with big city appeal.
    The Bucks sucking has nothing to do with the size of the market. OKC and SA are doing just fine. OKC has the night life of Des Moines and SA is a hole, but for the riverwalk. Utah has been relatively good for the past 25 years. Why not the Bucks? Well, Kohl is a good place to start. Look at the banners in the BC. From 1970 to 1987, there is a banner for almost every year. When the Bucks played in the McDonald's tourney back in the late 80s, they had the highest winning percentage in NBA history. They were the model franchise. Since Kohl, not so much.

Now, watching the Bucks, they have Brewers syndrome. They try to be average to sell tickets, but that puts them in a no win situation. They overpay for average free agents (never, ever overpay for second tier free agents). They are stuck trying to find gems in the middle of the draft, when most middle first round picks are nothing but role players. Finally, they don't know how to build a team. Too many players who are tweeners. They have a roster with no true small forward, one true center (that is a backup type anyway) and an undersized shooting guard.

The Bucks need to clean house, and I mean clean house completely. I would even fire Ted Davis, the worst radio voice in professional sports. My God, there are guys doing high school games that do a better job of describing the action on the court. I think Henson has potential. Maybe keep Harris. You can say goodbye to the rest of them. Bite the bullet, truly suck for 4 years and do what OKC did. Draft talent with a plan. Yes, you do need to get lucky. But, you can make your own luck to a certain degree. For example, don't draft players without a true position in the first round (can we say Tractor Trayor, Gary Trent, etc.) Don't sign stiffs like Gooden, who have no court sense. Eventually, if you are winning, your players will want to stay. You see guys signing for the mid-level exception just to play on a good team. In the NBA, the cap is high enough to keep 3 stars happy. You can afford them if you don't have stupid contracts like Gooden, EI, etc. BTW, EI is the spitting image of Dave Meyers, but for the fact that Dave Meyers was tough as all heck and EI plays like a girl.

The Bucks can be successful, but they need a complete makeover.

SA picked Duncan #1 in a year where David Robinson was injured and out for the entire season. That really put the team on the map. Duncan was fine to stay there so it has worked. Not many big time stars are like Duncan.

OKC also hit paydirt with Durrant / Westbrook. Those two are just the luck of the draft draw (like the Bucks winning a coin flip for Jabbar).

Hard to compare baseball to basketball as in baseball you can have the top couple guys in the sport and that doesn't mean you are world series bound. In basketball, two of the top players together on a team can make a championship team, and they often decide to play together. In baseball a 17th round pick can develop into a MLB player. In basketball the 17th overall pick is often nothing better than a bench warmer.

I agree the Bucks need changes, but everyone just keeps blaming Kohl, and I think in the NBA it isn't that easy.

As indicated by MU88, most first round picks are just role players, and a new owner can't change that. Tank the season and draft Nerlens Noel or Cody Zeller (if the ping pong balls fall right), I'm not sure that is the answer either. Need to tank in the right season to get a Duncan or Lebron.

Cleveland was able to add player's all the time. The problem is without cap space or young talent you cannot sign or trade for player's. Look at all the player's Clev brought in. The problem was with all the salary and older player's They were not going to be better. The Biggest Diff from old CBA was Big Market teams could spend 20 mil more and still be profitable. The new CBA is very hard on high spending teams in regard to both Luxury Tax and your ability to sign player's with Mid level and Low level exception so you can basically only add player's for the league MIN.

You are really going to have to build your team through the draft, But with most Big market teams going to be over the cap for years they are really not going to be able to go anywhere. Player's can only force a trade if they have another option.

That said the 2013 draft is weak. player's you could get in the low 20's last year would be Lottery this year. I think Noelens goes out this year. He would still be a top 10 pick and he can rehab at a NBA facility. 10 months that does not put him back playing until DEC. and probably only at 90% would he be drafted any higher after putting up avg Number's for 1/2 season in a strong draft? Might still only go in the TOP 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    SA picked Duncan #1 in a year where David Robinson was injured and out for the entire season. That really put the team on the map. Duncan was fine to stay there so it has worked. Not many big time stars are like Duncan.

OKC also hit paydirt with Durrant / Westbrook. Those two are just the luck of the draft draw (like the Bucks winning a coin flip for Jabbar).

Hard to compare baseball to basketball as in baseball you can have the top couple guys in the sport and that doesn't mean you are world series bound. In basketball, two of the top players together on a team can make a championship team, and they often decide to play together. In baseball a 17th round pick can develop into a MLB player. In basketball the 17th overall pick is often nothing better than a bench warmer.

I agree the Bucks need changes, but everyone just keeps blaming Kohl, and I think in the NBA it isn't that easy.

As indicated by MU88, most first round picks are just role players, and a new owner can't change that. Tank the season and draft Nerlens Noel or Cody Zeller (if the ping pong balls fall right), I'm not sure that is the answer either. Need to tank in the right season to get a Duncan or Lebron.
    You need to tank multiple seasons, not just one. When the Bucks got to a point of being decent, you had Robinson, Baker and Allen, three top 10 pics (maybe top 8, I can't remember where Baker went in the draft). In short, you need to suck for a long period of time, not just a year. Jennings should have been the first of 3 or 4 high draft picks. Instead, they keep trying to surround him with average talent so the team is competitive. Forget that nonsense. They needed to be really bad for the past three years. The might have been decent this year. Yes, SA got lucky. But, they got good from two really, really bad seasons and some smart drafts. Its the only way a team like Milwaukee can turn things around. When you win, people want to play for you. Remember, no one wanted to be a Packer for 20 years. Worst franchise in sports. Now, players want to play in GB. Why? Because they win.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast