Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could change one thing

If you could change one thing

O k, you are now the head of the rules committee. If you could change one thing, in college basketball, what would that be?

To me, I would do away with the secondary defender blocking/charging call. I would make that a defensive foul. It would take away one of the more subjective, and frequently contentious, parts of the officiating and would eliminate violent collisions.

The two stupidest rules:

1. 30 seconds to sub in a player to replace a player who has fouled out. Why give a free timeout?
    2. Calling timeouts while the ball is in play. Too often it allows a player to avoid the consequences of his own actions.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

I would adopt the NBA timeout rule where you can move the ball to half court at the end of the game. I think it would add more excitement to end of game situations.

I would either bring down the shot clock to 25 or 30 seconds to speed up late or make it that if someone is fouled on a shot and makes both free throws the distributor gets an assist and it Doesn't get counted as an incompletion

First I would get rid of the rule that resets the 10-second clock on a timeout. If you have to call timeout because you can't get it across half court in the first 9 seconds, you don't deserve 10 more because you called a TO.

Second I would allow players to be paid. Not a lot, but maybe $1,000 each for all scholarship athletes. Enough so Juan Anderson can buy his own Brewers tickets.

Third, I'd review the ridiculous recruiting regulations. Bagels get cream cheese, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    Third, I'd review the ridiculous recruiting regulations. Bagels get cream cheese, dammit!
    Along those lines, I'd give schools the authority to admit student-athletes. If the school is found cheating, then penalties would apply. But stop the practice of treating student-athletes as unqualified until the clearing house says otherwise.

VS

I thought of another one.....If one team has possession and it ends up being a jump ball I would automatically give the ball to the defensive team as a reward for forcing the tie up as opposed to using the alternate possession.

Alternate possession would only apply for tie ups after shot attempts when there is no possession and at halftime. I'm sure there would be some grey areas to work out but the point is obviously not to give the ball back to the offense when the defense makes a great play.

Adopt defensive three seconds

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    2. Calling timeouts while the ball is in play. Too often it allows a player to avoid the consequences of his own actions.
    100 times yes. This is a case where the FIBA rules are better than the American ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I would adopt the NBA timeout rule where you can move the ball to half court at the end of the game. I think it would add more excitement to end of game situations.
    Absolutely not. I hate that rule and never understood it. Why in the world should a team get the ball at center court without advancing it there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast