Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 2 vs. a 3

A 2 vs. a 3

Disclaimer: this is not questioning the coaches and players decision making process or strategy. Just a preference question. With 4+ seconds to go in the overtime, Junior took the ball coast to coast and got a pretty good shot up to try to tie it up, and even had a fraction left as Trent almost got the tip. Would anybody preferred he stop at the 3 line to try to win the game outright. My thoughts would be to go for the win on the road. Davante was all used up. Think Vander was too. Didn't have Jamil. on the other side, Cincy lost 3 big guys, so a double overtime may have played to our advantage. Thoughts?

Rule of thumb has always been when on the road, you go for the win; when at home, you go for the tie. That said, he had a good look on the drive and with Cincy's foul trouble, I would have taken the 2 at that time.

He had 4 seconds with no TO left. He went for whatever he could get.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Rule of thumb has always been when on the road, you go for the win; when at home, you go for the tie. That said, he had a good look on the drive and with Cincy's foul trouble, I would have taken the 2 at that time.
    I'm not sure this really applies in any sport other than baseball.

This. the cincy guard came out on him and he was able to (i believe) cross him and had a lane. You take what is given to you for the best shot possible at that point. If cincy slacked off, then I'm fine with going for the win. they didn't and he made the right choice. just came up a bit short on that and the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    He had 4 seconds with no TO left. He went for whatever he could get.

With Cincy's 2 big men already fouled out (Mbodj and Nyarsuk) and then Justin Jackson fouling out in OT, I felt MU would win in double OT seeing Cincy had nobody left who could really stop Gardner in the post. I felt Gardner got the wind knocked out of him, but would have been fine in another OT. I always find it amazing when teams take a bad 3 when only down 2 at the end of the game. Cadougan was decisive and put up a shot he has made several times before, just did not go in last night.

Not so sure about Davante in A second OT. He was really hurting ( that was far more than getting the wind knocked out of him ). Ernest Eugene was applying something to his back. Whatever, DG is going to be hurting tomorrow after getting beaten upon so much last night. Hopefully his back is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    I'm not sure this really applies in any sport other than baseball.
    Not sure where you get that. I have heard it all my life from coaches and commentators. Never heard of it in baseball. In fact, I would think it applies more appropriately to other sports than baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs98 View Post
    This. the cincy guard came out on him and he was able to (i believe) cross him and had a lane. You take what is given to you for the best shot possible at that point. If cincy slacked off, then I'm fine with going for the win. they didn't and he made the right choice. just came up a bit short on that and the tip.
    Plus, it was Junior. He does not possess a shoot the 3 first mentality. Not a strength of his.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Not sure where you get that. I have heard it all my life from coaches and commentators. Never heard of it in baseball. In fact, I would think it applies more appropriately to other sports than baseball.
    What does home field/court have to do with anything in these sports. Think about it. What does it really mean? How does that really impact the game at that point? I just don't see the logic...

In baseball, if you're in the 9th/extras on the road, you generally play for the win because there's a chance you won't get back up to bat. If you're at home, you can settle for the tie because you know you will always get another chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast