Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquette Setting Itself Up Nicely...

Marquette Setting Itself Up Nicely...

for another top 4-5 finish in conference and 6/7 seed in the NCAA.

with 13 left I'll take 8-5 the rest of the way with one win from vs. Cuse/vs. ND and a loss @ Rutg for a final of 11-6 in conference play for 5th place.

beating a Cuse vs. beating a ND (in congruence with a BEasy tourny W or 2) will be the difference of a 6 or 7 seed and a S16 or 2nd round exit for this team this year. I, for one, think Cuse can been beaten now with Southerland out and barring a revenge win for Pitt in the BC, we should be riding a 25 game winning streak going into the contest.

This team isn't sexy, but they seem to have been learning the lessons given in their 3 very different losses (outside of the last minute of regulation).

This team plays better slow. Different type of team than year's past.

They didn't play better slow against UWGB, but they are cursed in that building.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Don't they have 15 left? I'd be real happy with 9-6.
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    for another top 4-5 finish in conference and 6/7 seed in the NCAA.

with 13 left I'll take 8-5 the rest of the way with one win from vs. Cuse/vs. ND and a loss @ Rutg for a final of 11-6 in conference play for 5th place.

beating a Cuse vs. beating a ND (in congruence with a BEasy tourny W or 2) will be the difference of a 6 or 7 seed and a S16 or 2nd round exit for this team this year. I, for one, think Cuse can been beaten now with Southerland out and barring a revenge win for Pitt in the BC, we should be riding a 25 game winning streak going into the contest.

This team isn't sexy, but they seem to have been learning the lessons given in their 3 very different losses (outside of the last minute of regulation).

Yes, 15 left. I think 9-6 is very realistic. I'm thinking 12-6 in Big East, with 13-5 being more likely than 11-7. Good chance we get the 3 or 4 seed and a double-bye. I look at the Louisville and Syracuse games as huge, as those are the only two real heavy-hitters this year. No one else scares me. Honestly, Louisville doesn't even scare me, and Syracuse loses a lot of bite without Southerland.

Louisville and Syracuse terrify me to no end, because those two teams specialize in what our weakness is. Louisville is great at creating turnovers and playing good pressure D... Our passing has been less than stellar this year. As for Syracuse they play one of the better zones year in and year out... I think our struggles against the zone is well documented.

This is all I see of the future schedule. One game at a time.

01/16/13 vs. Seton Hall * TV Milwaukee, Wis. 8:00 p.m. CT

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    This is all I see of the future schedule. One game at a time.

01/16/13 vs. Seton Hall * TV Milwaukee, Wis. 8:00 p.m. CT

+1 no corrective lenses needed

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    Louisville and Syracuse terrify me to no end, because those two teams specialize in what our weakness is. Louisville is great at creating turnovers and playing good pressure D... Our passing has been less than stellar this year. As for Syracuse they play one of the better zones year in and year out... I think our struggles against the zone is well documented.
    What helps us is that they play each other twice. Louisville also plays ND twice and Syracuse has to play GT twice. Our schedule looks a lot easier on paper than either of theirs does, in my opinion.

As far as beating them, I think Peyton Siva is due to have a few crap games. I'm just not convinced he's nearly as good as everyone seems to want us to believe. And we always play them very well. I know the old adage about how one season has nothing to do with the rest, but this has always been a special rivalry that leads to interesting games, and you can usually throw out the records, the computer numbers, and even home court advantage when we play.

Syracuse scares me more. They have a ton of length, a great zone, and are just as deep as we are. If they don't have Southerland that will help, but I figure there's a decent chance he'll be back by mid-February. Can't imagine Boeheim not getting him eligible again.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    And we always play them very well.
    Except for last year at MSG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast