Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't Say Enough About Derrick Wilson

There is no reason to have anyone under the basket....or for Gardner to be in the game there...it was messed up

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    No that's really not how you should play that. The way it should have been played is fine, because Trent didn't execute. Just spreading everyone out on the line leaves a bunch of gaps and no way to get a hand in anyone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    There is no reason to have anyone under the basket....or for Gardner to be in the game there...it was messed up

Well OK.

I will grant you that. But you don't guard it by simply having people spread out at the three point line.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    No that's really not how you should play that. The way it should have been played is fine, because Trent didn't execute. Just spreading everyone out on the line leaves a bunch of gaps and no way to get a hand in anyone's face.
    Starting out at the three line doesn't mean you don't move to cover the offensive players. It just means you don't even start playing D on your man until he gets beyond the three line. 1.2 seconds gives no time for a catch in front of the three line and getting a shot off. To me it makes no sense to even cover anyone inside the 3 as they can't tie unless they shoot a 3. Spread at the 3 line, and cover the man once he gets there. Why do you need 3 guys in the lane area on defense at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    ummm guys...we won...
    You got that right. 3-0 in the Big East, and depending on losses, we very well may move into the top 25.
    Great game by a tough and deep group of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Starting out at the three line doesn't mean you don't move to cover the offensive players. It just means you don't even start playing D on your man until he gets beyond the three line. 1.2 seconds gives no time for a catch in front of the three line and getting a shot off. To me it makes no sense to even cover anyone inside the 3 as they can't tie unless they shoot a 3. Spread at the 3 line, and cover the man once he gets there. Why do you need 3 guys in the lane area on defense at that point?
    I agree. Even if we did allow someone to catch inside the 3 point line, with 1.2 seconds they couldn't make a pass for a shot. If they caught the ball right next to the basket, time still runs out before the ball goes thru the net. Disappointed that Buzz didn't call a timeout for some learning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    What limited skill set? He's only a sophomore and is still maturing. Buzz says he's better than Junior in practice and is the best natural leader on the team. And don't forget that he was recruited to play D1 football as well as basketball so he must have be pretty solid athletically. I'm bit buying the spin that he's not that good because he doesn't score for us. He will grow just like Zar, Jimmy and others before them.
    Tough as nails kid dont get me wrong and I don't want to turn this into a bash derrick post bc the kid played his guts out today. But to respond to your post, he doesn't have the ability to create for others and isn't the most explosive guy (I should have used explosive as opposed to athletic although athleticism is sometimes defined by your run/jump abilities) and I think you would have to agree with that. He's got a very high floor but also a very low ceiling imo. He will be a very nice back up pg for this program as come Januaryish next year I would anticipate Duane Wilson taking PG responsibilities.

Derrick may very well end up being the nominal starter next year, but the real issue is mpg. Otule starts, but Davante gets on average 50% more mpg than CO. Juan starts ahead of Jamil, but most games, Jamil plays more minutes.

I expect Duane Wilson will end up getting more minutes than Derrick during the conference portion of the schedule. He is simply too good of an offensive player to keep on the bench.

As for Derrick, those who think he will suddenly turn into a decent scoring threat are being incredibly optimistic. He has not shown an ability to score at the D-1 level, and I highly doubt that will change next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Derrick may very well end up being the nominal starter next year, but the real issue is mpg. Otule starts, but Davante gets on average 50% more mpg than CO. Juan starts ahead of Jamil, but most games, Jamil plays more minutes.

I expect Duane Wilson will end up getting more minutes than Derrick during the conference portion of the schedule. He is simply too good of an offensive player to keep on the bench.

As for Derrick, those who think he will suddenly turn into a decent scoring threat are being incredibly optimistic. He has not shown an ability to score at the D-1 level, and I highly doubt that will change next year.

Derrick Wilson scored a bunch in high school. Don't expect that Duane can step in as a freshman and provide instant offense. You are bound to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post

I think he is just now getting the green light from buzz to start shooting. wasn't he "not allowed" to shoot last year?
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast