Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 Schedule

So are we priority for scheduling once next season starts are will we still have to compete with disney on ice and such?

Unless we owned the facility we will always have to compete with other scheduling at the Cell. There has been persistent chatter about whether the University should buy the Cell to solve that problem. I have mixed feelings about it. As I said before, it's in the wrong place. And while it's a great basketball arena from a sightlines perspective you can't change the fact it's an aging facility with potentially immense maintenance costs. And any building that old presents serious challenges. Let me give an example. I was there a few weeks ago with some department personnel and one of them was suggesting places for some LED signage. Great idea -- except there are no power outlets or cable channels anywhere near those places. You either retrofit at great cost or end up running cables along floors and railings, which looks terrible. Remarkably enough, sports arenas built in 1950 did not make provision for fiber optics or assume that you might need power outlets at every possible location.

I'm all for nostalgia too, and as I said, I think the Cell is a very fine basketball arena from the standpoint of sightlines, but I fear that the University pouring money into the Cell would not be unlike pouring money into the Klotsche. In both cases there is a definite element of putting lipstick on a pig.

The one thing that militates for the idea of the University owning the Cell is that it's the only realistic alternative I can see over the course of the next 5-10 years for a credible facility, despite its drawbacks.
    Last edited by BBF; 09-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.

By the way, I agree with **panther. You can be 100% for more than one team. It's no different than how I feel about my two sons. They are different in many ways but I love them both. And trust me Jimmy, if some day your kid goes to UWGB, you will have a Phoenix sticker somewhere on your car, and be proud of it, too.

That said, it's just completely irrational to be a fan of both Milwaukee and **. That's like supporting the Jedi and the Empire.

I dunno man, that's kind of how I see Madison and Milwaukee. Marquette's never figuratively held down this university unless you consider not scheduling us as such.

UW-Madison, however, has a long and storied history of holding Milwaukee down. I point to J. Martin Klotsche's books "UWM: An Urban University" and "Confessions of an Educator," both of which contain many examples of Bucky Badger getting in the way of progress with Milwaukee.

Most of that has to do with the fact that Madison jockeys for public funding with us and Marquette does not, but still. Even past the years of Klotsche, most recently UW-Madison fought very hard to get the new School of Freshwater Sciences and the School of Public Health.

The perfect example of why UW-Madison is no friend to UW-Milwaukee: when we were awarded the School of Public Health over Bucky, he cried and whined about it, then decided to rebrand the School of Medicine as the School of Medicine and Public Health - it's an obvious move to undermine and cut into our academic reputation. Get this: the "Public Health" classes taught at UW-Madison aren't even accredited.

Anyways, that's how I look at the UW-Madison situation. Klotsche said it best: "Madison never wanted Milwaukee to become the Michigan State to their Michigan." Consistent meddling from the capitol has impeded progress at our alma mater for 75 years, ever since the first moves when they delayed turning UWM into a full university for more than a decade.

As for my son, I sure hope he does well enough in school that UWGB isn't a serious option.
    Last edited by Jimmy Lemke; 09-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Every public university administrator fights for every dollar, that's the nature of things and it won't change. The only solution is political, so blame the legislators and the executives and the regents for the past, not the administrators. But you also have to recognize history -- and how things can change. Madison has always been and always will be the "flagship," and there's nothing wrong with that. What has changed is that Milwaukee, once essentially a teacher's college, is many, many leagues beyond that now. But old perceptions die hard, like the ludicrous continuing perception that UWM is a "commuter" school. Now we are easily and obviously the second most important University in the state. No offense meant to Marquette. It's a nice regional school for upper middle class suburban kids that contributes a lot to the area. But it has nothing like the breadth of mission and reach of impact of Milwaukee's great public urban University as an economic engine for the region and state. (Frankly, without Al McGuire Marquette is John Carroll. That's in Cleveland, not that anybody knows or cares. They should light candles to that Irish imp every night at Gesu. A good lesson about how athletic success can create public perception about universities.)

I don't disagree at all that the historical preference for dollars going to Madison has handicapped our athletic programs, largely because we were never favored with credible facilities. And now, unfortunately, there are essentially no public dollars being devoted to athletic facilities at all. So we will need to find another way.

All that said, I'm 100% Badger, 100% Panther and have no cognitive dissonance about that at all. **panther, otoh, is clearly suffering from bipolar disorder. That's just a sickness, man.

Aaaaaanyways, to me this is still a decent schedule. Home clips against UNI and DePaul are fairly decent, especially since DePaul looks to be much better this year and UNI is always strong.

The wave schedule came out and thye have home game Dec. 7th. So, the Bradley game gets pushed to the KC.

I honestly don't understand how they just get the dates yhey want. They should have to work with us if anything. Absolute crap!!

http://uscellulararena.org/events/73...-shrine-circus

....2nd round and Semifinals of the Horizon League Tournament are scheduled for March 7th and 8th.....

Quote Originally Posted by lutzow10 View Post
    I honestly don't understand how they just get the dates yhey want. They should have to work with us if anything. Absolute crap!!
    Why is that? We don't know what the Wave contract is, plus the Panthers just signed this summer when dates for other events were locked in. Should not be a problem in the future.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast