Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Media....

I have no problem with the Packers being king. I have no problem with no one caring about college hoops until the Packers' season is over. I have no issue with that at all. I take issue with a member of the "sports media" opting to "organize his sweaters" as opposed to covering the Marquette-#15 Georgetown game.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Yeah this is pretty infuriating...especially when Wickett claims to be such a big college hoops fan. He's not, because whenever they bring it up on his show he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

Marquette doesn't get much respect from media members or news outlets in the state period. Yesterday morning I looked in the Wisconsin State Journal to see what sporting events would be on the local TV/radio stations just in case MU would be on TV in Madison and not only weren't they listed for TV, but they weren't even listed for radio even though they were on the Madison ESPN affiliate 100.5 FM. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I have no problem with the Packers being king. I have no problem with no one caring about college hoops until the Packers' season is over. I have no issue with that at all. I take issue with a member of the "sports media" opting to "organize his sweaters" as opposed to covering the Marquette-#15 Georgetown game.
    People would care or just even know about other sports if the media covered it. My pick in this I can do more than two things at once. I dislike these radio people telling us the listeners in how it is, when they don't cover the sport. When someone like myself and my wife is at every MU & UWM home game. Go to high school events like the WBY Shootout and attend the Summer Pro-Am.

Jim, Just playing devils advocate here. Most jobs have scheduled time off dont they? Is it a media members responsibility to work 24-7? I agree with most posted here about the lack of MU coverage, but I too work long hours and when Im off work it is honestly the last thing on my mind. Now choosing to post organizing your sweaters on social media is another story. Who the hell still wears sweaters?

Quote Originally Posted by JDubMU View Post
    Jim, Just playing devils advocate here. Most jobs have scheduled time off dont they? Is it a media members responsibility to work 24-7? I agree with most posted here about the lack of MU coverage, but I too work long hours and when Im off work it is honestly the last thing on my mind. Now choosing to post organizing your sweaters on social media is another story. Who the hell still wears sweaters?
    Yes, they do. But if you are in local sports media publicly, you should be endorsing local sports. Acting as though there's nothing going on when a local perennial tournament team is taking on a team ranked in the top-15 at home and it doesn't remotely clash time-wise with the Packers game is inane. It's either incredibly ignorant or deliberate jackassery. With Wickett, I could see either being the case.

I hear what you are saying JDub, but I see many of the guys often. I will see guys like Lance Allen or Tom Van Vooren at press conferences while they are on vacation. If you are in sports media, that is what you need to do. Also, while there is time off, it is not a time clock job. How many people on this board sometimes work over 40 hours per week? How often do guys stay up late at night trying to finish off a major proposal they are working on? That is on "scheduled time off".

I know many of the morning show guys on various stations get up nasty early in the morning, but a college basketball game is 2 hours. 2 hours of overtime to intelligently talk about it on Monday morning? And going forward? Whenever a Marquette topic comes up, say Trent Locket really turned it around...."Well I think the turnaround for Trent started in the Georgetown game. He hit a shot clock expiring three early in the first half, and had a monstrous baseline dunk to start the second half and his has been on a roll ever since."

If anything, its what students call home work, or studying for exams.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Who knew WSSP was still on the air? Never listen, and now all of their anti-MU crap will backfire big time as WOKY is soon to become the all Bucky sports radio station.
    A guy who has a job in sports media, even if he is not at the game, should still be watching as it is his job.

What is funny is there was a story the other day about WOKY becoming all sports talk. They said the entire market share for sports radio is 1.5, with WSSP getting a 1 share and 540 getting a .5 share.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    What is funny is there was a story the other day about WOKY becoming all sports talk. They said the entire market share for sports radio is 1.5, with WSSP getting a 1 share and 540 getting a .5 share.
    So WSSP gets better ratings than 540?

And by the way, how are "ratings" measured with radio? I never understood that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast