Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disciplining refs

Disciplining refs

We all agree that the refs working the UConn - MU game were awful. Screwing up the start of overtime was simply inexcusable. The next question is whether the Big East punishes them in some way. Well, we got the answer last night. Two of the three, Karl "IWB" Hess and Michael Stephens were two of the three assigned to the Seton Hall at DePaul game last night. The third official in our game, Mike Stuart, either was deemed not as guilty or will be punished with multiple games involving DePaul as the season progresses.

BTW, the 3rd official in the SHU - DPU game was Gene Steratore, who Hizzoner assumes was being punished for being an NFL ref involved in the strike/lockout that led to the replacement refs.

Why else would they be stuck doing that game?
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    The next question is whether the Big East punishes them in some way. Well, we got the answer last night. Two of the three, Karl "IWB" Hess and Michael Stephens were two of the three assigned to the Seton Hall at DePaul game last night. The third official in our game, Mike Stuart, either was deemed not as guilty or will be punished with multiple games involving DePaul as the season progresses.
    I can see their pay being docked, or even being suspended, but the DePaul game? That was excessive.

Anyone else watch the end of the DePaul-Seton Hall game? DePaul had a shot to win it - inbounded with 7.8(?) seconds to go, drew up a great play, player was wide open and missed the shot. Even though the guy was wide open, it drove me crazy - Why is it that there are so many times when teams are down by 1 with seconds left, that they draw up a play for a 3 pt shot? Why not get closer to the hoop?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Anyone else watch the end of the DePaul-Seton Hall game? DePaul had a shot to win it - inbounded with 7.8(?) seconds to go, drew up a great play, player was wide open and missed the shot. Even though the guy was wide open, it drove me crazy - Why is it that there are so many times when teams are down by 1 with seconds left, that they draw up a play for a 3 pt shot? Why not get closer to the hoop?
    See MU in loss to GB. Thomas had a great open look from 3, but we were down 1 at the time.

Penalty wasn't just a DePaul game---it was DePaul vs Seton Hall. Every time I watch a game at/from the Allstate Arena, I marvel at all the wasted potential. From the ugly floor, empty stands, etc. They have a UWM feel to the whole process, and that is not a rip on UWM because DePaul should be able to do so much more. I swear to God I could take that AD job, knowing very little about it, and upgrade that thing substantially--whether in Lincoln Park or in Rosemont. On day one I would:

1. Change the color scheme.
    2. Get rid of Oliver Purnell--talk about a guy who is always one step ahead of the posse.
    3. Start giving out free tix to every Catholic grade school in Chicago to fill the place a little.
    4. Totally redesign the floor. It is butt ugly. Has no one ever noticed?
    5. Showcase the band--they are the best thing about a DePaul game.
    6. TOTALLY focus on fundraising. TOTALLY. They should be kicking our ass in facilities, amenities and coaching hires with so much more money in Chicago. They have SOOOO many corporate sponsorship options we do not have.

Only good thing they did last night was place the crowd mike in a spot where it sounded like the fans were loud. There weren't enough to make the noise I heard.

DePaul has sooo much potential, they should be embarrassed for their product.
    Last edited by Gato78; 01-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    The probability of the situation is that they are not going to get a shot right at the basket (layup or dunk). The opposing coach is going to set his defense so as not to allow that. And even though it sounds ridiculous, most kids today are more comfortable shooting 3's then they are 10-15 footers.

Nobody works on their individual mid-range game anymore. The practice 3's and going to the basket. Many defenses are designed to keep the ball out of the paint and run shooters off the 3 point line. They want you to take those mid range shots, because most kids probably shoot a higher percentage from the arc then they do pulling up off the dribble from mid range.

So if you are drawing up a play for one shot your best chance at a good makeable look is probably an open 3.

Completely agree with Orlando. Looking through the first 13 games, MU has made 334 field goals. Of those, 237 were made in the paint and 52 are 3 pointers. That means MU has made only 45 field goals inside the arc that weren't in the paint. It's just not an area on the floor where points are scored. It's stunning there aren't more baskets scored in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    The probability of the situation is that they are not going to get a shot right at the basket (layup or dunk). The opposing coach is going to set his defense so as not to allow that. And even though it sounds ridiculous, most kids today are more comfortable shooting 3's then they are 10-15 footers.

Nobody works on their individual mid-range game anymore. The practice 3's and going to the basket. Many defenses are designed to keep the ball out of the paint and run shooters off the 3 point line. They want you to take those mid range shots, because most kids probably shoot a higher percentage from the arc then they do pulling up off the dribble from mid range.

So if you are drawing up a play for one shot your best chance at a good makeable look is probably an open 3.
    Excellent post (well, mostly because I agree!).

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Excellent post (well, mostly because I agree!).
    I too agree completely, just painful to watch the missed shots. Great response Orlando
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Penalty wasn't just a DePaul game---it was DePaul vs Seton Hall. Every time I watch a game at/from the Allstate Arena, I marvel at all the wasted potential. From the ugly floor, empty stands, etc. They have a UWM feel to the whole process, and that is not a rip on UWM because DePaul should be able to do so much more. I swear to God I could take that AD job, knowing very little about it, and upgrade that thing substantially--whether in Lincoln Park or in Rosemont. On day one I would:

1. Change the color scheme.
    2. Get rid of Oliver Purnell--talk about a guy who is always one step ahead of the posse.
    3. Start giving out free tix to every Catholic grade school in Chicago to fill the place a little.
    4. Totally redesign the floor. It is butt ugly. Has no one ever noticed?
    5. Showcase the band--they are the best thing about a DePaul game.
    6. TOTALLY focus on fundraising. TOTALLY. They should be kicking our ass in facilities, amenities and coaching hires with so much more money in Chicago. They have SOOOO many corporate sponsorship options we do not have.

Only good thing they did last night was place the crowd mike in a spot where it sounded like the fans were loud. There weren't enough to make the noise I heard.

DePaul has sooo much potential, they should be embarrassed for their product.
    I was on the phone earlier today with a former colleague of mine who graduated from Purdue and we got to talking hoops. He and his fellow Purdue fans are not big fans of T.C. BTW - they think there is a high "slime" factor (his word, not mine) with him and cited some examples, but I told him how grateful MU fans are for (or should be grateful) TC's tenure and I used DePaul as an example of a school that needs a T.C. to turn the program around in addition to the things you ticked off Gato. I was so underwhelmed with the Purnell hire - could not believe it. Get a high profile YOUNG assistant from a high profile program that bleeds energy - "there is no substitute for youth" pertains not only to women, but to the DePaul situation. If they do that along with a settling their arena situation you are going to wake one of the biggest sleeping giants in college b-ball - something that we need to add more credibility to the new league.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 01-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast