Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Taylor needs to play more

Steve Taylor needs to play more

I know he's just a freshman and can get lost on defense on occasion, but I think he's shown that he can be productive when given the opportunity. He rebounds and more importantly, he can make a shot (which this team struggles to do). He's a little raw, but only going to ge better with actual game experience.

His minutes should come at the expense of Juan Anderson. While Juan is a high energy player and rebounds relatively well, all I've seen from him this year is a high propensity to miss open shots and make fouls. I think Taylor and Wilson should split the minutes at the 4 position with Anderson getting spot minutes at the 3 and 4.

Taylor was pulled in the second half after giving up a poor, weak-side offensive rebound and put back. Offensively I *really* like what I see from him. However he has to give a little better effort on the defensive side.

Juan played 2 more minutes than Steve, had 3 more rebounds and two more assists. Juan is active and during the opening part of the game, his offensive rebounding was important.

I like Steve, but I also like Juan and see no need to denigrate him.

What, though, in Jamil's play of late makes you more comfortable with Jamil than Juan?

Competition is good. Let all three work in practice and earn their minutes. An entitled player in time becomes a lazy player.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Juan played 2 more minutes than Steve, had 3 more rebounds and two more assists. Juan is active and during the opening part of the game, his offensive rebounding was important.

I like Steve, but I also like Juan and see no need to denigrate him.

What, though, in Jamil's play of late makes you more comfortable with Jamil than Juan?

Jamil played pretty decent in the second half and overtime....I think he is a better defender than Juan is too.

Committed two silly fouls in the 2nd half. A horrible turn over with a weak pass on the perimiter at a very key moment. Played some weak defense, admittedly after he had 4 fouls, specifically not contesting a shot in the lane by Boatwright. His defense was spotty all night. In OT, he played well. Other than that, I wonder what game you actually watched.

I don't Mac. I just think he was a better option than Juan and showed that in overtime. Juan offensively was decent in the second half, but his defense still isn't anything to write home about.

Neither is Jamil's, quite frankly. Some boneheaded fouls on both sides of the ball for him.

Like I said, I like Jamil. I also like Juan. Both have weaknesses and the poster whom I responded to denigrated Juan without Jamil. Both have been inconsistent at best. Jamil is a better offensive player - sometimes.

Taylor needs to play...period.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Taylor needs to play...period.
    Autry's comments at the end of the game were telling. Steve was the only one he mentioned by name and said something to the affect of "I know he wants to play 40 minutes a night, but the minutes he did give us were very important". There were some TJ Taylor like tweets from Steve over the break, but it seems like he's in a better place now from what he shows publicly.

He's a Mac Irvin guy, so I was a little worried given what our last Mac Irvin freshman did during his freshman winter break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast