Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katz on C7 meeting and Big East Info

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    that legendary playground - can't remember the name.
    Rucker Park? Not sure. My whole point about marketing those coaches is that players come and go, but by promoting your own big name coaches, it says to the basketball world, "We are big time, not a second tier stepping stone conference".
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Rucker Park? Not sure. My whole point about marketing those coaches is that players come and go, but by promoting your own big name coaches, it says to the basketball world, "We are big time, not a second tier stepping stone conference".

Agree with the marketing ideas. St. John's should be at The Garden, Villanova at the Philly Art Museum (Rocky), Georgetown at Capital Hill.

I really agree on getting the name coaches to stay and be the face of the league.
    The coaches are what you have to promote now in college hoops, as no player with a name stays more than a year.

Kentucky won it last year and most casual fans couldn't name a player on the team this year, or even many of them heading into their Championship season, but they know Coach Cal. Similar with Duke.

Coaches are the face in college football too, but big name players often star for more than one year. Johnny Football won the heisman - he will be back. Clowney from South Carolina will be back. Golson will QB ND in the title game, he will be back. That is one thing football has going for it, stars come back and play for a few years. Everyone knew who Luck was going into his last year, same with RG3. You actually made a point to watch them.

Who with a big name from last year is still playing in college hoops that is relatively nationally known? I think Zeller may be the only one. The one and done with NCAA hoops makes the coaches the show and not the players.

The BIG EAST Tournament does a great job og marketing urban. "The World's Greatest Arena" with the marquee and the cabs with some looks around Manhattan as well as the "edgy" tune to go with it. Build off that.

My fear is the Jim Delany's of the world will next demand their league's to go after the C7 Coaches and pay above market rate for salaries to hurt the league that way. Not the blue chip or elite program who already have strong coaches, but the lower level schools paying crazy money to kill the C7 league. That will be the next step. Look at what the SEC did with Arkansas to Bielema, UW and the Big Ten. Guys like JTIII won't leave, but others are vulnerable unless the schools can afford to pay them top dollar still. That is why this TV contract is crucial to allow the C7 schools the ability to pay top dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    My fear is the Jim Delany's of the world will next demand their league's to go after the C7 Coaches and pay above market rate for salaries to hurt the league that way. Not the blue chip or elite program who already have strong coaches, but the lower level schools paying crazy money to kill the C7 league. That will be the next step. Look at what the SEC did with Arkansas to Bielema, UW and the Big Ten. Guys like JTIII won't leave, but others are vulnerable unless the schools can afford to pay them top dollar still. That is why this TV contract is crucial to allow the C7 schools the ability to pay top dollar.

Are you under the impression that the SEC demanded that Arkansas go after Bielema to harm the Big Ten?

Nothing is 100% certain and neither you or I know why he really left, besides the money. I have heard many reasons for his leaving. Bottomline, the SEC was laughing all the way about taking a 3 time Big Ten champion Head Coach (I know this year doesn't really count) to coach one of their mid-tier teams. It's likely Delany was not happy about it happening.

My point is that the top conferences knew how to cripple the weaker conferences. Recruit them to your conference to destroy the conference. If getting a whole school is not viable, next will be to get the coaches. These guys think of everything in their quest for collegiate domination.

Nothing is 100% certain and neither you or I know why he really left, besides the money. I have heard many reasons for his leaving. Bottomline, the SEC was laughing all the way about taking a 3 time Big Ten champion Head Coach (I know this year doesn't really count) to coach one of their mid-tier teams. It's likely Delany was not happy about it happening.

My point is that the top conferences knew how to cripple the weaker conferences. Recruit them to your conference to destroy the conference. If getting a whole school is not viable, next will be to get the coaches. These guys think of everything in their quest for collegiate domination.

I guess I never thought of it that way. And even after you said it, I am not sure it really registers with me.

So you think that if the C7 trumps out there these great coaches that they won't be the first schools the BCS 4 big leagues won't look at for an opening? They are ruthless. The C7 league is what it is.

So you think that if the C7 trumps out there these great coaches that they won't be the first schools the BCS 4 big leagues won't look at for an opening? They are ruthless. The C7 league is what it is.

I think other schools would hire C7 coaches because they are good coaches. I don't think they would do so because they are under some directive to weaken the other league.

No offense, but that is a little paranoid thinking going on.

No offense, but you are naive. You must have been asleep the past 2 years watching the demise of the BE and what is now going on to the ACC. Watch the next moves by these leagues and decide if it's being done to destroy a league or build their own up.
    Last edited by Halo; 01-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast