Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Katz on C7 meeting and Big East Info

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    No offense, but you are naive. You must have been asleep the past 2 years watching the demise of the BE and what is now going on to the ACC. And the next two schools that goto the Big Ten will be a shocker.

Yes. Obviously I missed where other conferences directed their members to hire away Big East coaches to weaken their conference.

Oh, unless the ACC demanded that Notre Dame hire Brian Kelly as a condition of membership. And, knowing that they were eventually going to be in the Big East, demanded that Miami hired Al Golden from Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Yes. Obviously I missed where other conferences directed their members to hire away Big East coaches to weaken their conference.

Oh, unless the ACC demanded that Notre Dame hire Brian Kelly as a condition of membership. And, knowing that they were eventually going to be in the Big East, demanded that Miami hired Al Golden from Temple.
    You keep bringing football coaches into the discussion. It was basketball that Halo mentioned, not football. I see Halo's point, I may not agree, but I think it has some merit - whether agreed or not.

The goal that I had been hearing is 4 16 team mega conferences. Split off from the NCAA for football (at least initially). Perhaps the intent is to do the same for Basketball - who knows? If it is, you would not want the upstart conference to make any noise. As it stands right now, you have the BCS Conferences dominating. Then you have the C7 as the biggest basketball threat to domination (monetarialy).

The fact that Bielema went from one BCS School to another is immaterial and irrelevant. Not even background noise to the discussion. The fact that Brian Kelly moved from Cincinnati to ND over two years ago is not worth even being mentioned in this discussion - except for absurdity on your part.

Now, do I believe that what Halo's is speculating is what is happenning? No. could he be right in his conjecture? Yes, I could see that. I remember several years ago when a large Tennessee booster buddy of mine was talking about the SEC and other conferences moving away from the NCAA. He gave me a road map of what they planned to do. Some of it has happenned, some not. But, since I know he was in the know, it does give me pause.

Mac, Halo specifically brought up football when he brought up Beilema and the SEC. And I was only being absurd about Brian Kelly and Notre Dame because there is no evidence whatsoever that anyone has hired a coach for this express purpose.

If I am an ACC school looking for a basketball coach, I look at coaches like JTIII and Buzz and I try to hire them because they are good coaches. Not because my conference directed us to weaken the C7.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post

What are you talking about? I know your thing is to argue with everyone, so it's not worth my time anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Rucker Park? Not sure. My whole point about marketing those coaches is that players come and go, but by promoting your own big name coaches, it says to the basketball world, "We are big time, not a second tier stepping stone conference".
    Rucker Park is what I was thinking - maybe start with that type of setting and then move to the individual cities.

I totally understand the focus on the high profile coaches, at least till the league's credibility is established and I understand that with players leaving early the coaches provide the consistency for the most part, from year to year. I just think that the networks in particular are lazy in finding compelling stories about players that can draw more eyes to the game. I keep going back to the MSU/UNC 2011 Carrier Classic in San Diego - the big pre-game interview was with Izzo and Williams together doing their usual "aw shucks" mutual admiration society interview. Would have liked to hear the players and how they were making adjustments for the game's outdoor playing conditions etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234