Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katz on C7 meeting and Big East Info

So Katz is suggesting that a handful of results from the C7 plus this year will have an impact on the TV deal? That's an ignorant comment. This is about a longer view than just how good the teams are this year.

ESPN is starting the slandering of the C7 now as they are likely to take a much more lucrative offer from NBC Sports or new Fox Sports channel.

You really are being sensitive to call the following phrase "slander":

"The Catholic 7 have the familiar names, the tradition and the media markets, but the schools had better start playing well to make offering a lucrative television deal sensible."

While I do think the OP is correct that it is a little over the top, the overall point that the basketball product needs to stand the test of time is an accurate one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    You really are being sensitive to call the following phrase "slander":

"The Catholic 7 have the familiar names, the tradition and the media markets, but the schools had better start playing well to make offering a lucrative television deal sensible."

While I do think the OP is correct that it is a little over the top, the overall point that the basketball product needs to stand the test of time is an accurate one.
    Just as it's also true that through their in-house columnists, ESPN will demean every real or anticipated challenge to their dominance.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Just as it's also true that through their in-house columnists, ESPN will demean every real or anticipated challenge to their dominance.

VS

If you say so. Not really sure how the C7 is going to "challenge their dominance" however.
    Last edited by TheSultan; 01-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Lets face it, when the new league is formed you can throw out most of the history of these teams. They will be judged by what happens in the first few years, we need the programs involved to be very strong for the first 2 or 3 years to show that this league is for real. Nobody is going to care that MU made a final 4 in 2003 or that Butler did it back to back a few years ago. We are starting a new league and need to make a first impression, the first few years will be crucial for this.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    Lets face it, when the new league is formed you can throw out most of the history of these teams. They will be judged by what happens in the first few years, we need the programs involved to be very strong for the first 2 or 3 years to show that this league is for real. Nobody is going to care that MU made a final 4 in 2003 or that Butler did it back to back a few years ago. We are starting a new league and need to make a first impression, the first few years will be crucial for this.
    I agree with this and this is why the programs have to amp up their athletic programs, specifically schools like St. John's and DePaul because of the media area's they are in. I will say though that the histories of these schools in basketball will get them a pretty good TV contract at the outset. Some people have complained about some of the schools being mentioned for the 10th, 11th or 12th as being mid-major schools, but these 10th, 11th and 12th schools are all better than the 10th, 11th and 12th schools in most of the BCS conferences now and in the past.

Back in the days of the old American Football League two factors forced a merger with the NFL -- owners with deep pockets and the TV contract with ABC. The network did an outstanding job of showcasing the AFL. The C7 needs a high level of commitment from alums. I think any network that steps up to the plate with a big bucks contract will go all out to make it work. Marquette looks to be a huge player if the talent scheduled to arrive and those on hand are in place for 13-14.

I still say the future network and the league must take 5 guys and base the entire marketing campaign around them to promote the new league. Give those guys a financial commitment to stay 3 years. Those 5 are John Thompson III, Jay Wright, Steve Lavin, Buzz Williams and Brad Stevens. Make those 5 the cornerstone of the new league and build it up.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast