Thread: Wilson/Stone vs. Koenig

Wilson/Stone vs. Koenig

Just got home. Competitive game. Aquinas got up early in the 1st but Dominican battled back. Wilson missed a contested 3 at the buzzer and Aquinas won by 3.

Wilson got to the rim pretty easily, but couldn't finish in the 1st quarter. He got better and has some very athletic/acrobatic drives and finishes. Also had some nice steals and strong dunks.

What I noticed about him, was that when he wants to drive, he goes left and either tries to finish with his left or go up and under. All of his dunks were also with his left hand.

When he goes right, he's going to pull up for the jumper. I found that interesting because he's right handed... Dominic James had the same tendencies...except he pulled up going left and drove going right.

Stone is impressive. Has great feet and great hands...so important for a big man, especially a developing one at his age/size. Had a thunderous alley oop from Wilson early in the game. Also had some nice drives from the elbow. Didnt demand the ball or really fight for post up position...but I'm sure that will come as he gets older. Nice stroke on the FT, but only went 1-4 at m count.

I like Koenig. He starts at PG next year. Probably at least an inch taller than DW and had him by 15-20 lbs. started out strong in the 1st qtr, hitting a few 3s. Wilson clamped him down for the most part the rest of the way. BK has great vision and is going to be a really good PG for Bo...save for next year when Vander is all in his face.

Koenig will be a guy we love to hate when he plays for the Big Buckaroo. Good player but very cocky. Displayed the kind of attitude where his teammates could take him down a few notches before opponents do. He is very good and is an excellent passer. Should be top 100 but maybe attitude PO'd the recruiting gurus.

It's really going to be fun to watch Duane and Koenig go at it for 4 years. 2 very good players. Koenig bigger....Duane more explosive. Both quick and can shoot it. I too noticed the attitude. Could rub Bo the wrong way.

I thought the game changed when LA went to the 1-2-2 after Domincan had come roaring back. Dominican didn't handle it well....they are not very well coached.

Duane started slow but really came on in the 2nd half. He will benefit greatly by having D-1 talent around him....so will Koenig....great vision.....lots of hot dog in his game that I'm sure Bo will take out of him.

No flash allowed when playing for UW......=)

Thought the same thing in terms of attitude and flash. Some of that stuff, while maybe effective, won't fly under Bo.

Koenig is a hotdog. I really like him as a player, but I can't see that working for Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    It's really going to be fun to watch Duane and Koenig go at it for 4 years. 2 very good players. Koenig bigger....Duane more explosive. Both quick and can shoot it. I too noticed the attitude. Could rub Bo the wrong way.

I thought the game changed when LA went to the 1-2-2 after Domincan had come roaring back. Dominican didn't handle it well....they are not very well coached.

Duane started slow but really came on in the 2nd half. He will benefit greatly by having D-1 talent around him....so will Koenig....great vision.....lots of hot dog in his game that I'm sure Bo will take out of him.

No flash allowed when playing for UW......=)
    Dominican had a coaching change after Wollersheim was forced to resign. Was a reasonably well-coached team under Wollersheim. Guess that has changed. MJS today reports it was a 1-3-1 zone that Aquinas used.

I think the person in the gym that was most impressed with Bronson Koenig was Bronson Koenig. Really a nice player that should help Bucky solidify their backcourt, but sure seemed into himself. Bo will not tolerate his antics, nor will he tolerate the wrap around reach he did routinely as Duane beat him off the dribble!

Aquinas had a basic 2-3 zone it used for most of the 1st half. Duane Wilson tried to drive on the zone which meant no offense for Dominican as he kept losing the ball in traffic or was getting blocked. In the second half, Aquinas went to a 1-3-1 extended/trapping zone. It needed to be attacked as there were many open areas with the attack out high. The Dominican coach could not adjust. Interesting to see Wollersheim in the house.

Wollersheim was the one that helped put the tournament together with Mark, so it was good to see that he was there. No question that team misses him greatly.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I actually thought Stone demanded the ball a lot during the game. He was very frustrated especially when they went 1-3-1 and had the 5'8 kid on the baseline with him.

Not a lot of love between DW and BK. Will be a great rivalry for the next 4 years.