Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just back from GB

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Vander drove to the basket a few times throughout the night and never got a call. Why bank on that in clutch time?

And I completely disagree, Nukem. As JDub says, who the hell else earned the right to take the last shot last night? MU shot under 40% for the game and missed 14 3 pointers. Maybe Jamil? But his points came in a few minute flurry last in the first half. Othewise, he was quiet offensively per usual.

Buzz got a 3 point shooter a great look at the end of a game. Can't ask for anything better. If they are in the same situation against LSU on Saturday, I'll hope Jake takes the same shot again.
    Jamil, Vander and Juan all shoot a higher % from beyond the arc than does Jake. So there were at least two better options on the floor at the time, IF the shot you wanted was a 3 in that situation. Todd Mayo would have been a better option, that's where he is missed.

If they are in the same situation again on Saturday.....well, I won't even know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    Are they really inconsistent though? How many times have they really played incredibly well to eventually see them unexpectedly throw out a clunker (my view of inconsistency)? All in all I think they've been rather consistent---a very consistently average team.
    That's probably it. This team is nowhere near as good as some here believe they are. I hope Buzz gets the most out of this team during the break.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    It's only a good look, if the shot goes in. That's how I have always viewed it.
    So by that rationale, Rotnei Clarke got a good look at the end of our game against Butler? And the threes that Blue knocked down against Madison were all good looks?

Come on, that was a stupid statement and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    So by that rationale, Rotnei Clarke got a good look at the end of our game against Butler? And the threes that Blue knocked down against Madison were all good looks?

Come on, that was a stupid statement and you know it.
    My point is...people always talk about so and so had a "good look", like it's some sort of moral victory. A "good look" is worthless if it doesn't go in. So, big deal, he had a "good look". He missed the shot, MU lost. Because he had a "good look" are we all supposed to feel better about it??
    Last edited by MU_Iceman; 12-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    My point is...people always talk about so and so had a "good look", like it's some sort of moral victory. A "good look" is worthless if it doesn't go in. So, big deal, he had a "good look". He missed the shot, MU lost. Because he had a "good look" are we all supposed to feel better about it??
    What you don't understand is, it's sports. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You're completely incapable of accepting that fact. Is Marquette better than Green Bay? Yes. But last night they weren't.

When a team is down a possession at the end of the game with the shot clock off with possession of the ball...getting a good look is all you can ask for. That's when all those hours of practice come to light. Can the coaches draw up a play and can the players execute it to put themselves in a position to be successful? From that standpoint, it worked. Jake got an excellent look, an open shot from a spot on the floor he has literally shot thousands of balls from over his life. Last night, it didn't fall.

It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Wilson is the better option? Seriously? He contributes nothing on offense. He is a better defensive player than Junior, but when Derrick is on offense, it's like playing four on five.
    I know you don't appreciate them as reporters, but they have the stats to back the claim up. I suggest you look in to it.

http://painttouches.com/2012/12/11/a...errick-wilson/

In short, we have more turnovers per minute with Junior on the court, shoot worse as a team when he's on the court, and score less points per shot when he's on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    What you don't understand is, it's sports. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You're completely incapable of accepting that fact. Is Marquette better than Green Bay? Yes. But last night they weren't.

When a team is down a possession at the end of the game with the shot clock off with possession of the ball...getting a good look is all you can ask for. That's when all those hours of practice come to light. Can the coaches draw up a play and can the players execute it to put themselves in a position to be successful? From that standpoint, it worked. Jake got an excellent look, an open shot from a spot on the floor he has literally shot thousands of balls from over his life. Last night, it didn't fall.

It's really that simple.
    First I HATE the comment of "they were the better team last night;" this statement, while getting at the idea, is wrong. Marquette is a better team than UWGB 8 out of 7 nights, UWGB PLAYED better last night. Big difference.

From my point of view, Jake should not have taken that shot. Not because of his PT, not because of his performance throughout the game, and not because he's not our "go-to-scorer." He shouldn't have taken that shot because he is shooting 32% from beyond the arc this year. People have this amazing ability to give Jake a lot of slack because he's reported as a good 3 point shooter (I won't argue this, I've seen it in person, I've seen it on Youtube so I hold the fact that in situations he is just that) or because he's the first walk on to get meaningful minutes in a coon's age.

32% from the arc is not a good 3 point shooter. That is why he shouldn't have taken that shot. They GAVE him that shot because he's only made 8 3 pointers all year. If I am Brian Wardle's team, scouting our team so far this year, I am ok if that is what beats us. That is not even on the top 5 things I am looking to stop offensively for Marquette coming out of that time out.

There are players that come in billed as something and perform to something else, Jamail Jones being billed as a great outside threat is the prime example of that. For whatever reason, sometimes it doesn't work. I am not writing the kid off for all time because of his first 10 games with this program but if you can't perform well against cupcakes I am not sure if there will be much PT come conference time and the rotation constricts (especially if Todd is back).

To look at it another way, based on season to date, Trent is shooting 31% from 3, would you have been ok with him shooting that shot?

It was a 1 point game. No need to go for a 3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123