Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handicapping odds of who gets added:

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Well, conversely, the league shouldn't shy away from good teams just because they happen to be Catholic.
    If the league is concerned about the long-term viability as a high major conference, they should absolutely shy away - for exactly the reasons JohnnyRev specified. Most of the schools may well be Catholic, but that's not what we're here for. Don't let the message be confused; we are about Basketball.

Or we can be like BYU, making do with whatever Catholic recruits choose MU.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    If the league is concerned about the long-term viability as a high major conference, they should absolutely shy away - for exactly the reasons JohnnyRev specified. Most of the schools may well be Catholic, but that's not what we're here for. Don't let the message be confused; we are about Basketball.

Or we can be like BYU, making do with whatever Catholic recruits choose MU.

VS
    So don't take Xavier or Gonzaga because they are Catholic? That's idiotic. We can brand it as being about basketball no matter the membership.

So don't take Xavier or Gonzaga because they are Catholic? That's idiotic. We can brand it as being about basketball no matter the membership.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that (until maybe VS's post), I don't think JohnnyRev was even suggesting that. I think his hope was that we have at least 1-3 non-Catholic schools. I'm hoping both VCU and Butler are on the short list because while it would leave us primarily Catholic, no one could accurately call us a Catholic league.

You go for the best schools. At least 2 or 3 of the top 5 available schools are non-Catholic. That's just reality. If you take Gonzaga, Creighton, and Xavier that's perfectly fine, but the hope is you also get VCU and Butler. What I want are quality programs that are committed to building their basketball programs. The rest will fall into place from there.

It's not idiotic if it means the success of the league. But if you want to put all the major Catholic teams in a hole from which no one can escape, then do it. I expect Xavier will join; I hope the next two will be non-Catholic (Butler, Memphis, or VCU). If the conference expands to twelve, I'd take the one left out from the earlier list plus another Catholic school.

The point is that in the perception of the public, this conference must be about BASKETBALL.

The C-7 needs to become the BB-10.

VS
    Last edited by ValiantSailor; 12-17-2012 at 05:46 PM.

MU fans should ask themselves the following questions: if we wanted to upgrade our non-conference schedule next season, which of the following programs would we want to schedule - Dayton, Creighton, St. Louis, or Gonzaga? Which school would we want to meet in a major tournament? Which school would we most want to see visit the BC on a home and home basis?

I rest my case.

Butler or Memphis

VS

Almost a done deal, IMO, that the three additions will be Xavier, Butler and Dayton.

Dayton? Any reason why them and not Creighton?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    I am guessing geography mattered. For both the conference and Creighton.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    Sweetens the pot for Xavier - a traditional rival.

VS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast