Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handicapping odds of who gets added:

Handicapping odds of who gets added:

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1221382

At the bottom of this article he gives odds of who gets added... Not sure I agree, but none the less it's an opinion.

Assuming Xavier is a "no brainer" and IWB's prediction of a 10-team conference, then my hope is that the other nominees are non-Catholic schools. Butler, Memphis, and VCU would be my choices.

If we persist in the "Catholic" aspect of our new conference, we will eventually decline into irrelevance, as recruits will see "Catholic" as the first requirement, and "Basketball" as the second. Look at how the country perceives BYU. They're a "Mormon" school, and everyone associated with that school are members of that faith. Witness Jabari Parker, a top recruit who is considering BYU; why - because he's Mormon. Do you want recruits to look at a "Catholic" conference that way? How long do you think we'll keep our Coach, if he handcuffed by that unwritten rule.

The sooner we can shed the "Catholic" sobriquet and adopt "Basketball" as who we are, the better.

VS

I would certainly doubt that being a Catholic would be a requirement for a player or student to attend/play for one of these teams in a Catholic conference. I for one am not against adopting the "Catholic sobriquet", as you state.

Not sure whether it should be a "branded" Catholic conference but remember, we are aligning ourselves (rightfully so) with the east coast urban schools. At the high school level, in the east coast urban markets, there is a long, rich history of basketball success within the Catholic high schools........

Maybe this will surprise some of you, but I REALLLY DON'T WANT to be known as a Catholic league. This is about great basketball, and Catholic is just a distraction and an invitation to anti-Catholic bigotry. Though it is stated as being about sharing our values (e.g., vs cheating, lack of academics...), which in my opinion would eliminate Memphis (also a football school and we left the football schools behind). Butler is almost everyone's top choice, and I'm glad they are not Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRev View Post
    Maybe this will surprise some of you, but I REALLLY DON'T WANT to be known as a Catholic league. This is about great basketball, and Catholic is just a distraction and an invitation to anti-Catholic bigotry. Though it is stated as being about sharing our values (e.g., vs cheating, lack of academics...), which in my opinion would eliminate Memphis (also a football school and we left the football schools behind). Butler is almost everyone's top choice, and I'm glad they are not Catholic.
    Totally agree! I cringe when I see "Catholic" in reference to this new conference.

Thank you, JohnnyRev. You said it better than I.

VS

.+1000000

Well, conversely, the league shouldn't shy away from good teams just because they happen to be Catholic.

There will three additions, one of which will definitely be Catholic (Xavier) and one of which is not religiously affiliated (Butler). For team ten, there are two very good Catholic options in Creighton and Gonzaga and one very good public one is VCU.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast