Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Cell?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    By representing it as Andy Geiger's decision, we don't need to feel that way. Amanda Braun wasn't here before.
    I wouldn't use anybody's name for the mistake in public.

If anything does need to be said, I would keep it simple and say we gave it a try to play men's basketball on campus, but most want it to return at the US Cellular Arena. Our goal is still to get our student body at the games in downtown Milwaukee. Our goal is still to play on campus in a new building one day and we are working on that goal.

You had me until the last sentence. I'd leave it at a "long term commitment" to the Arena.

Ok, we'll leave the last sentence out.

As much as I would like to agree with Jimmy on this, I just got back from UWM's Advocacy Day at the state capital. I was talking to a legislative aid (who is a UWM Alum) and when I told him everyone wants to get back to the Cell, he seemed a little surprised, because he believes the talk is to tear down the WCD to either expand for a new arena or an expansion of the convention center. So even if UWM does manage to get back to the Cell, who knows how long it would be for. I think eventually we will have to build on campus. I mentioned that maybe UWM should just buy the Cell, and he liked the idea, but I don't know if it will go anywhere. I wish I could have discussed this a little more with him, but too many conversations started going at once.

I was sorry that I couldn't make it to the Advocacy Day this year. I got to do it the year I was a student intern at the UWMAA and I enjoyed myself immensely.

As for the Arena...

First off, I don't think the Cell is going to be torn down. It may be large enough to put the current Bradley Center on its footprint (barely), but a new arena is going to need to be 750,000 square feet, not 500,000, and that is far too large for the Cell's block.

Second, the Delta Center could practically double in space without taking the Cell. There are surface lots to the north and south of the Delta Center that should be used first (seriously, what use do surface lots have in a downtown area?).

What we have to keep in mind is that a full on-campus arena is going to cost a lot of money, and it's going to take a lot of time to get it set up. The Cell is a viable option this season, and the university can either make it a temporary or permanent home. With an on-campus arena, there is no going back downtown. At the Cell, we can always springboard to an on-campus arena.

I see no reason why or should the MECCA/Milwaukee Arena/US Cell be torn down.

Any news on negotiations?

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I see no reason why or should the MECCA/Milwaukee Arena/US Cell be torn down.
    Cost? It costs money to tear down a building of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    Cost? It costs money to tear down a building of that size.
    That's what I mean, no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lutzow10 View Post
    Any news on negotiations?
    It was June 26st when the news broke last year about the KC. So, I guess there is time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast