Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audio from Larry Williams on the Buzz Williams Show...

Sure, anything could be imminent - all comes down to what they can put together that is a marketable product, both basketball-wise and football-wise.

On the Larry deal, while I do agree that you never talk down to any other school or conference, ever, it has all come to a head, so now its all or nothing. This is not a time to be nice, you have to fight for your program. On the other hand, there are ways to say things and ways to not say things.

What still bothers me is this....

The SEC & Big 10 poached from the Big XII. The Big XII was on the brink, with more schools expected to depart. Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor were basically begging to get into the Big East. Within a very short period of time, the University Presidents banded together, fired the Commissioner, realigned and came back stronger than ever.

When it was rumored that the Big XII was going to implode, Big East invitations to Kansas, K-State, ISU & Baylor should have been extended immediately - could have forced the issue. Even if none accepted, the Big East would have shown that they are serious and a group to be reckoned with, and the Big East could still be in tact - but they did nothing.

Since that time, the Big East has been raided not once, not twice, but three times by the Big XII, ACC & Big 10. All of that, and the Big East did nothing. Not until they were on the brink of extinction and added Tulane did any presidents get up and take a stand. Why? Why did it take that long?

I don't agree with what Larry did, but it is about time everyone in the freaking conference stands up and says....

"ENOUGH! WE ARE THE BIG F'ING EAST! IT WAS REPORTED THAT OUR BASKETBALL TEAMS WILL BE INVITED TO JOIN THE A-10? WE WILL REMAIN STRONG AND CONSIDER SENDING INVITATIONS TO A-10 MEMBERS THAT WE FEEL MAY HAVE A STRONG IMPACT THE BIG EAST.

WHILE WE ARE AT IT, WE FULLY EXPECT THE BIG 10, SEC AND BIG XII TO CONTINUE EXPANDING, AND IN DOING SO, THEY WILL TAKE MORE MEMBERS FROM THE ACC. TO THOSE THAT ARE LEAVING THE BIG EAST FOR THE ACC, AND THOSE THAT HAVE LEFT THE BIG EAST FOR THE ACC IN THE PAST - WE WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND AN INVITATION TO YOU TO RETURN TO THE BIG EAST WHEN THOSE CONFERENCES ONCE AGAIN POACH PROGRAMS FROM THE ACC."

Now, will it happen? Never, but for God's sake, somebody say something!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I would have to imagine all of this going public will accelerate the process one way or another. I don't see this dragging out 6 months. Too much money and too much going on in the media and you gotta imagine its already created a huge divide between the basketball schools and any and all of the new programs coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Since that time, the Big East has been raided not once, not twice, but three times by the Big XII, ACC & Big 10. All of that, and the Big East did nothing. Not until they were on the brink of extinction and added Tulane did any presidents get up and take a stand. Why? Why did it take that long?
    For the basketball schools, because they had no choice before now. Until Louisville left, we didn't have enough votes to dissolve. Football was driving the bus and we just had to go along. Now we finally have a chance to do something about our situation and we're doing it. Is it too little too late? I don't think so. Maybe to salvage a football conference, but to create a basketball-centric league, the timing is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    For the basketball schools, because they had no choice before now. Until Louisville left, we didn't have enough votes to dissolve. Football was driving the bus and we just had to go along. Now we finally have a chance to do something about our situation and we're doing it. Is it too little too late? I don't think so. Maybe to salvage a football conference, but to create a basketball-centric league, the timing is just right.
    I wasn't just talking about the basketball schools, I was talking about everyone in the conference in general.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Putting aside past/current issues with our AD, in this particular interview, I agree with everything he said and, in fact, think there are instances where he could have gone further.

As IWB said, a line has been drawn and now is the time to fight and defend your program and your brand. Look at some of the comments being made by coaches/ADs of schools defecting from one conference to another, especially those leaving the Big East. Do those comments paint a flattering picture of the schools left behind?

One other hyopthetical.....it is quite possible that Williams was "drafted" to some degree to make these comments on behalf of the non-football schools...the East Coast schools would face more regional pressure given their direct proximity to many of the A-10 schools....

Is Nova going to come right out and bash LaSalle? Is Georgetown going to bash GW? Is St. Johns going to bash Fordham?

So Marquette's AD issues these comments and have the luxury of regional isolation yet Marquette's success and history provides the comments a similar level of weight (from a national media perspective) as if they had come from a Georgetown or Nova....

All I know is for the first time it feels like we are making decisions instead of having them made for us.

It's a refreshing change.....

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    All I know is for the first time it feels like we are making decisions instead of having them made for us.

It's a refreshing change.....
    +1, given the last 3 years of change, I don't know how anyone could be upset with Larry. If he leads us out of this mess to the top-end of what has been proposed and/or rumored, all of his past perceived slip ups should be excused as well. Maybe he's not tight with the coach or high-end donors, but these next few months are probably more important than any of that in the long term.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123