Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Article on Big East Catholic Schools

ESPN Article on Big East Catholic Schools

A brealk doesn't appear imminent but Big East basketball only schools are talking and expressing their displeasure with Tulane, etc.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...tholic-schools

What about all the other sports? Some play baseball, some play lacrosse, some wrestle..etc? These have to be taken into consideration, as well.
    Last edited by ge1974; 12-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.

there is an article posted on the JS about this as well....I wasn't a fan of the catholic league at first, but it has become apparent that the big east hasn't, and is continually not being aggressive and proactive, but instead has been consistently reactive. The additional fact that we know Cincinnati and UCONN will leave the league at the next chance, it is time we make a move without the big east. IF we could form a catholic league and bring in Xavier, SLU, Butler, Creighton, etc....That will be one heck of a basketball league....I would even try to throw it Gonzaga in that, even though it is a bit out of the geographic location of the rest of the schools. Of those schools.....we could still have 6-8 NCAA tourney teams a year

Gonzaga would never do it. Too expensive. Keep in mind that basketball only leagues barely bring in enough revenue to pay MU's top assistant coach. Travel costs will be a huge issue with a basketball only conference.

VCU would be another great option, maybe even ND would welcome a return back and once again free up their football to be completely independent

Look at what is out there for further BCS expansion.....

1) "IF" the Big 10 adds two more ACC schools, the ACC will take Cincy and UConn and the Big East would likely implode.

2) "IF" the Big 10 adds two more ACC schools at the same time the SEC adds two more ACC schools and the Big XII takes 5-6 ACC schools, then the ACC would likely implode.

#1 is the likely reality, but #2 is a possibility - does anyone really want to get rid of all of this before knowing that #2 won't happen?

If the big conferences expand again, either the Big East or the ACC will die. What if the catholic schools leave for hoops only, and the ACC dies? Do you really want to be in a hoops only conference looking over at the Big East who then has Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke and Wake Forest?

In all likelihood it won't happen, but what if it did?

I just don't see how doing anything now is the answer.
    Last edited by IWB; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

One of the articles I read on Sunday's meeting mentioned a six-month timetable.

I would guess in six months we will know if the Big Ten is going to take two of the following schools ... Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina. If the Big Ten does go to 16 (and it appears more and more likely that will happen), the ACC will then grab UConn and Cincy and the Big East is done.

Also in six months, we will know what the Big East TV deal is and how much the basketball schools will receive from the new contract.

This all seems to be heading in one direction -- a league of non-football playing basketball schools.

Should such a new league be formed, it is absolutely crucial that the right schools be invited to participate.

In my mind those schools would include ...

Marquette
    DePaul
    St. John's
    Villanova
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Providence
    Butler
    Xavier
    Saint Louis
    Dayton
    Creighton

Speaking of realities and possibilities, does the fact that this meeting actually happened make it a fait accompli? It will happen; all that remains is the paperwork?

Seems to me that the seven Catholic schools were just asking questions, they would have kept the meeting secret.

VS

Wow... if true... time to go!

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
    Espn offering BE bball schools 2.5 million per year for all hoops league

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
    Mike T contacted by St Johns about coming back to be commissioner for this new league as it starts up

I wouldn't expect it to happen soon, I think right now they are weighing options so they can decide when the right time is.as some have said on twitter though, this is a pretty good sign that the Big East TV deal did not come back as hoped, had it been good I don't think this meeting would have happened.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast