Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulane to the Big East

I need to shut down for an hour or I will implode before the Big East does.

IWBhead copy.jpg
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

It took the national media over 2 hours to catch up on this story because nobody could freaking believe it.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I have started and then stopped typing a post several times. I cannot figure this out. If we are in this version of the BIG EAST for the long haul, I am concerned. If this is the prelude to a restructuring and maybe the BBall only conference while first collecting a whole bunch of cash from departure fees and NCAA credits--then smart play. I will say that the new commissioner does not seem to be any more visionary than the old commissioner--at least right now there is no evidence of bold new leadership.

The only thing I will say is this...Aresco is a smart guy...VERY smart. There HAS to be a legitimate reason to add them. That being said, I'm not sure ANY kind of TV contract will be worth playing in this damn conference anymore. I was always a proponent of staying in the BE as long as UL and UCONN were there, but even if they stay...It's time now to get out. Even a BB only conference would be better competition than what MU would play in this "new" BE. Yuck!

I believe Aresco is making his play... Yes, Tulane will be a laughing stock, but it's another market. If the networks can start bidding each other and the Big East can prove it's worth as much or more than the future ACC (who in theory may be losing up to 6 teams)... we have something.... Not sure where ECU fits in except to stabilize negotiations.

Virginia, North Carolina to B10.. Miami, FSU maybe NCState + GT to b12.... The rest of the ACC teams will be looking for a home then. NBC will become an immediate player in the sports world.

All of a sudden you have a Big East with ACC "leftovers" (Wake, BC, Clemson, VT, Duke, etc...)...

I think this play will allow all parties to go there separate ways if nothing gets done... This is exactly the pro-active approach you were asking for yesterday. Basically the Big-East has to seem like a more viable conference with a bigger contract than what is left of the ACC after they get raided by b12,b10,sec.

I still think it's a long shot, but he's getting paid to get something done and he's trying.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    A TV market.
    What TV market. It's a LSU state.

Tulane has about 4,000 in the Superdome for there game. I know because I've screen it on Fox College Sports.

+1, I think he's making a play.. The ACC could lose 6 schools or possibly more (4 for big 12, another 2 to big10 in addition to MD, SEC?)... If you get anything stable going with a contract the Big East (with all of its members locked up contractually) might be able to look better than a new ACC (picking from leftover C-USA schools) as a potential landing ground for the ACC leftovers.

IMO, it's the only play right now... the bball only conference will be there till these schools come in next July.

the thought of this of this CUSA.5 makes me want to throw up

Well, look at it this way....MU should dominate this conference every single year, and thus, win the tourney and be in the NCAA's every year.

Someone let me know when this stops sucking. Can't wait to hear the collective "meh" from the remaining members. I am also thinking that the failure to take whatever-the-hell tv deal ESPN was offering over the summer was a HUGE mistake.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast