Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Tulane to the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    Wow, if he is feeling good about the direction of the Big East, he is the only one.

Hostrodamus wants reassuring words from LW...I provide him with an example...and now he gets jumped on for providing them.

Seriously, you people need to lighten up with the anti-LW stuff until something specific and concrete occurs. Jumping on him for this kind of stuff makes you look petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    FWIW, the guy from West Virginia was wrong - he said St. John's & G'Town started the vote to disband. He said MU & DePaul were the only hoops schools against it. Wrong and wrong. Completely untrue, no such vote ever happened.

Here is the deal - I have no idea what the commissioners plans are, but he obviously has one - maybe its true, maybe Tulane was THE ONLY option, and if that is the case it is really sad. Here is what I do know......

Out of the basketball only schools there is nobody looking to disband. The basketball only schools are committed to sticking together, committed to sticking it out. Have they discussed a potential basketball only league? Yes, they have, but they know at this point the Big East is still their best option. Are the basketball only schools happy about the Tulane addition? No, and neither are the football schools, but they aren't exactly playing with an excess of time and options here.

What was done needed to be done, as much as that sickens us all, but attacking Tulane, UWM and each other isn't going to do anyone any good.

Are Larry and Broeker sitting on their hands? No. They are on the phone constantly looking for partnerships, looking for options, but at this point in time, neither MU or any of the basketball only schools are in a position to be calling any shots. That is up to the commish, and I hope to God Tulane isn't his final answer. I am glad that Mike Broeker is still in the house as he has spent years building up relationships in the Big East as well as with schools in the ACC, building relationships that will not only foster partnerships, but those that can deliver information. With Mike Broeker on MU's side, you can bet that any potential option will be known to MU.

People are concerned about Larry Williams and Fr. Pilarz as it relates to Buzz Williams, and I do understand that, but the current conference mess is a greater concern not only for the future of the program, but the retention of Buzz Williams. Buzz hasn't turned down a fistful of major programs to coach in C-USA 3.0.

This is just awesome information. Thanks much IWB!!

I said that league looks appealing if you take money out of the equation. I agree with you that it is not stable. I am just saying from a basketball standpoint, it looks like a great league, but we can't have it because of money and football. Really, what I'm saying is nothing new to people. I'm just expressing frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    Well, I think it is unwise to drop by this board to tell us how badly things are going. That is not likely to engender a kind response. Yep, it looks like the Big East is in bad shape, but as a result, the conferences further down the food chain, like yours, are in worse shape, so it does little good to take pleasure in the discomfort of Marquette fans. As for the Northern Kentucky remark, that is the speculation on your board (the other one) regarding what to do to replace Butler.

Sorry if that sounds mean-spirited. I personally have nothing against UWM, and no strong feelings about the school or the team one way or the other. I have a couple of nephews who went there, and it seemed to suit them well. As an aside, I would note that Tulane is an excellent academic school and has had more athletic success over the years than UWM. (Then again, they also had a major point-shaving scandal, so I guess you can take your pick.) But in any case, it strikes me as unwise of you to come here and point out that we are in a difficult position, as yours is worse

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112