Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buzz's two-step, etc

I said in my post that I can understand a WVU fan being upset. Transative properties, I could understand a MU fan being upset if the opposing coach did that at MU (although Dick Vitale did in '77 without a word said). Afterall, fans tend to be emotional, no? More emotional than coaches. That doesn't mean the fans are correct. In the end, I don't think it is a big deal. Buzz wears his emotions on his sleeve. I like that. I could care less if Buzz said something to the UCONN fans last week or that Buzz danced to a song he liked yesterday. Political correctness? Really?

Be incensed if you like. I think you are dramatically overreacting.
    Last edited by MUMac; 02-25-2012 at 08:53 PM.

I don't think it was an intentional dissing as the WVU fans suggest. Buzz was done congratulating his team, was headed over to do an interview, heard a song he loved, he was ecstatic and started to dance. It was a two step, it wasn't like he was break dancing and mooning the opposing fan base. I think he did it for Raftery more than anything. The only people who threw a fit were the first few rows of West Virginia students, to who I ask, why were they still there? Game over - leave, but no, they stated in their seats in attack mode. Why, because he danced? Or because the song says, "West Virginia, Mountain Momma, take me home", so they feel it is their song and no one else is allowed to like it?

When I was in college we played a game against a Terry Bowden led team down in Alabama. We were pretty pumped to be there. During pregame warmups, they pumped in "Sweet Home Alabama". The opposition went crazy, as did we, because we were so excited to be down there. They went off because they were pissed that we liked it. Why, was it "their song"? I think the WVU students over reacted.

Buzz danced a two-step, not in front of the team bench, but after the majority were gone as he walked across the court. Anyone that thinks that is bad, should be crucifying Al McGuire for jumping up on the scorers' table and saluting a full crowd, shouldn't they?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I said in my post that I can understand a WVU fan being upset. Transative properties, I could understand a MU fan being upset if the opposing coach did that at MU (although Dick Vitale did in '77 without a word said). Afterall, fans tend to be emotional, no? More emotional than coaches. That doesn't mean the fans are correct. In the end, I don't think it is a big deal. Buzz wears his emotions on his sleeve. I like that. I could care less if Buzz said something to the UCONN fans last week or that Buzz danced to a song he liked yesterday. Political correctness? Really?

Be incensed if you like. I think you are dramatically overreacting.
    I'm not incensed. I just understand why opposing fans would be upset. We would be too if Rick Pitino or someone decided to do that at the Bradley Center.

If he wasn't waiting to be interviewed by ESPN he would have been in the locker room at the time. It's not like he was trying to stick it to WVU (who after the crap they pulled getting out of the conference deserved it), he was just happy after the win and waiting for the call to sit down with the broadcast team.

The country hated Al back in the day because he was, well, Al. Other boards have mixed reactions. Bottom line if WVU doesn't like it they should win the next one - oh yeah, they had to borrow money from their new conference to play in the Big 12 next season. Enjoy the NIT WVU.

Being colorful is what people remember most about Al; Bo has his Dougie, Buzz has his stories and mannerisms. If you want a boring coach, great. TC didn't really do anything memorable, other than pace the sidelines. Buzz' dancing (nothing beats "walk it out" during Louisville 2 years ago) is the stuff we'll remember fondly after he goes (hopefully 25 years from now).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12