Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BEast preview mentions Buzz and Larry not getting along

BEast preview mentions Buzz and Larry not getting along

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ing-departures

It has been discussed ad nauseum on other boards. It isn't really news to fans who follow MU closely, but it still is not good to see it on a national website.

Larry Williams literally has no idea what he is about to mess up. This is officially our season on the brink. Enjoy one more season guys, because after this the uncertainty begins and EVERYTHING is on the table.
    Last edited by IWB; 10-17-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: language

Don't worry about things you have no control over. Enjoy the season.

Hard not to worry about. MU hoops is very important to all of us. Really hope the rumors arent true. Its almost as if you want Buzz to come out and say something like a coach does when there are rumors another school is courting him. Obviously Buzz won't and doesn't have to, especially if he is upset, but where there is smoke there is fire.

Larry Williams needs to step up to end this kind of bad PR. I'm sure he hasn't intended for his comments to reporters and Marquette Community members to appear as unprofessional or counter productive. He needs to call Buzz and the reporter. This kind of mention in the national medium is unfortunate at best and needs to be answered in a positve fashion as soon as it has been posted. Look it up -- it is in Chapter 3 of Public Relations 101, an entry level PR class.

Quote Originally Posted by ydouask23 View Post
    Hard not to worry about. MU hoops is very important to all of us. Really hope the rumors arent true. Its almost as if you want Buzz to come out and say something like a coach does when there are rumors another school is courting him. Obviously Buzz won't and doesn't have to, especially if he is upset, but where there is smoke there is fire.
    I think Buzz's strategy is the opposite, to put the word out in public so that pressure is ramped up in private. I think Buzz wants to coach a long time at Marquette, so long as it is the Marquette he started with (or close to it) and not the Larry Williams/Pilarz Marquette.

I don't know that he has a "strategy". He is coaching his team - people in basketball circles all talk, so just because Goodman said what he did, doesn't mean Buzz is 'putting the word out there' - far from it IMO.
    Last edited by IWB; 10-17-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I don't know that he has a "strategy". He is coaching his team - people in basketball circles all talk, so just because Goodman said what he did, doesn't mean Buzz is 'putting the word out there' - far from it IMO.
    Buzz is perfectly capable of coaching his team and 'putting the word out' at the same time. You don't get to his position in life by being an innocent country bumpkin.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Buzz is perfectly capable of coaching his team and 'putting the word out' at the same time. You don't get to his position in life by being an innocent country bumpkin.
    Have to agree with Kneel on that one.

Question: To what extent is it the responsibility of pilarz to make sure these two get along? I realize larry and buzz are grown men and one would think the full responsibility should lay with them. However this is the leader of the top revenue producing division of the university not getting along with his boss and we all know there are parallels between the success of the bball team and the success of the instituion and therefore shouldn't Pilarz be held somewhat responsible for making sure the two are able to coexist?

Goodman stating this in an article hardly needs to be the result of "putting the word out." It frankly is pretty obvious to most people who follow college basketball on a national level. And Tulsa, what exactly do you want LW to say? You want him to have a summit with the press, put his arm around Buzz, and say "Hey...we *LOVE* each other!!!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast