Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marquette #30

Marquette #30

According to this site which walks down the top 144 teams. 5th in the BIG EAST and an NCAA team. The analysis isn't spot on, but can't argue too much with the placement.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/4963
    Last edited by MU Viking; 10-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.

That would be my starting lineup as well. Thomas is not really a walk on though now is he - isn't he now on scholarship or do I have that wrong?

No, he came here as a walk on and was granted a one year schollie last year. He is now back to walk on status.

But, you get 13. Right now MU is at 11 (Otule, Cadougan, Lockett, J Wilson, Vander, Gardner, Mayo, Anderson, D Wilson, Ferguson, Taylor). I believe Buzz will keep one open in case of some super transfer, but being 2 short, Thomas may be on the receiving end again, but tougher to do when you have 3 walkons that are all doing the same amount of work.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Are you able to split scholarships up? For example, each walk-on gets 1/3 a scholarship. I think the non-revenue sports do this. For basketball everyone gets a full scholarship, but I wasn't sure if that's just because no recruit would come for less than a full since he could get one elsewhere.

Sorry this is way off the main topic.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    No, he came here as a walk on and was granted a one year schollie last year. He is now back to walk on status.

But, you get 13. Right now MU is at 11 (Otule, Cadougan, Lockett, J Wilson, Vander, Gardner, Mayo, Anderson, D Wilson, Ferguson, Taylor). I believe Buzz will keep one open in case of some super transfer, but being 2 short, Thomas may be on the receiving end again, but tougher to do when you have 3 walkons that are all doing the same amount of work.

But Thomas is clearly bringing the most value though of the walk-ons correct? If he is going to be actually playing more than spot minutes and they have a schollie, hopefully one comes his way.

Caribou you are correct.

2012 - That happens in other sports, especially track, but no, you can't do that in basketball or football.

Maybe I'm missing something with all these pundits not mentioning MU in the top 25. Hell, Vitale omitted Marquette them from his preseason top 40.

Yes, we all agree that Jae Crowder and DJO were the top scorers and were a huge reason why this team made it to the Sweet 16, but you basically have 4 starter types returning from the Murray State game in Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue, Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner. Then you add a former starter in Chris Otule, a guy who can score in Todd Mayo, a former 3 year starter at another high major program in Trent Lockett, a freshman who could have an impact off the bench in Steve Taylor and there's 8 quality players and I haven't mentioned Derrick Wilson, Juan Anderson, Jake Thomas and Jamal Ferguson who can provide depth from 9-12 and in 3 of those players, you have some D1 experience.

I'm not complaining as I like MU being the underdog, but are there really 25-30 teams who have the experience and the talent Marquette is bringing to practice this weekend? Color me skeptical. I know one thing. There aren't 25 teams in the USA who can play as physical as Marquette this year.

Hit the nail on the head Ted, great post.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something with all these pundits not mentioning MU in the top 25. Hell, Vitale omitted Marquette them from his preseason top 40.

Yes, we all agree that Jae Crowder and DJO were the top scorers and were a huge reason why this team made it to the Sweet 16, but you basically have 4 starter types returning from the Murray State game in Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue, Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner. Then you add a former starter in Chris Otule, a guy who can score in Todd Mayo, a former 3 year starter at another high major program in Trent Lockett, a freshman who could have an impact off the bench in Steve Taylor and there's 8 quality players and I haven't mentioned Derrick Wilson, Juan Anderson, Jake Thomas and Jamal Ferguson who can provide depth from 9-12 and in 3 of those players, you have some D1 experience.

I'm not complaining as I like MU being the underdog, but are there really 25-30 teams who have the experience and the talent Marquette is bringing to practice this weekend? Color me skeptical. I know one thing. There aren't 25 teams in the USA who can play as physical as Marquette this year.
    ...and SI doesn't think much of MU as well - at least not for top 32:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a0

Vitale is a clown. Used to like him about 10 years ago, but I've grown to really dislike his announcing and his favoritism of certain programs/coaches. Thank God he doesn't work many Big East games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast