Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DaJuan Johnson visiting today

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    You have to provide the free ones to draw people to the site. If they go all pay, then the bookmark is gone off my computer entirely.
    Yes, but since they went to the 20/month model, I have been able to go to their site and read every single article I was interested in. I also haven't paid a dime. For people that use them casually, there's no profit.

You have to provide the free ones to draw people to the site. If they go all pay, then the bookmark is gone off my computer entirely.
    Such is life. But, the # of freeones to attract viewers will be marginalized very quickly. Lets face it, we all will be paying for on-line content across the internet spectrum at some point. Obviously, we'll need to pick and choose. Freebies will not be a plausible businees model other than sites inundated with advertsing that can't be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Such is life. But, the # of freeones to attract viewers will be marginalized very quickly. Lets face it, we all will be paying for on-line content across the internet spectrum at some point. Obviously, we'll need to pick and choose. Freebies will not be a plausible businees model other than sites inundated with advertsing that can't be avoided.

They have been saying that for years. There will always be free alternatives. As soon as someone puts up a paywall, someone takes one down or creates a new site, and that's where the traffic goes.

They have been saying that for years. There will always be free alternatives. As soon as someone puts up a paywall, someone takes one down or creates a new site, and that's where the traffic goes.
    Guess we'll have to wait and see. Truth is somehwere in between.

It will change a lot quickly I think. I'm old enough to recall when cable TV first came out. Yep, you paid for the service and their were no commercials initially on MTV, etc. When bars first started getting the satelite tv hookups that is exactly what you got, the satelite feed. No commercials between innings, just the satelite feed. In a very short time that all changed, to the point that you now almost have to have cable tv or satelite tv, and while we pay for the service, we also get plenty of commercials too.

Websites like JS will eventually make you pay to read anything. And when you log on you'll have to watch a commercial too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234