Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN, the Big XII and the Big East

ESPN, the Big XII and the Big East

How about this one - I have some pretty solid Big XII sources and one came to me with the latest rumor..... ESPN is trying hard to convince the Big XII to take Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida and UConn as it will save ESPN a boatload as they won't have to pay for a Big East contract.

Looks like ESPN way over paid the ACC & Big XII, so now are looking to eliminate a hefty contract.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

But ESPN doesn't have the BE contract after this year. How does this help them? The B12 would likely demand more money from them because of the declining marginal value of each of these programs.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

I was just passing along what I was told.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Why am I pulling for the exclusive negotiation period with ESPN to end? I want this to be the end of a monopoly period for ESPN. I want NBC, Fox and CBS sports channels to give them a run. An upstart network would give Marquette and the Big East the royal treatment with promotion and exposure. That's if Marquette administrations are smart enough not to mess with happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    But ESPN doesn't have the BE contract after this year. How does this help them? The B12 would likely demand more money from them because of the declining marginal value of each of these programs.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.
    I suspect the "leader in sports" feels compelled to keep the Big East over losing them to another network. Thus, having to pay big $ to keep the network. May not make sense to you, but that does not mean it does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I was just passing along what I was told.
    I was told that Notre Dame is a fine institution. I don't pass that along.
    (I really am disliking ESPN more and more).

You would hope by now that the BE would understand that ESPN doesn't have their best interests in mind so they are better suited partnering elsewhere and using ESPN's bid to raise what they can get from someone else

I guess I don't see what the benefit to the Big 12 would be. The league gets two very well-respected national hoops programs in Louisville and UConn, but it also gets two of the weakest programs in the country (among high-major teams) over the past seven years in Rutgers and South Florida.

In terms of football - and I do not follow Big East football at all - I see absolutely no benefit to the Big 12.

Financially, even a bigger, better t.v. contract with ESPN would add little, if anything, to each school's profit margin if four teams are added to split the proceeds.

Logistically, the league would become as spread out - almost - as is the present Big East. Teams in the minor sports would be traveling to Storrs and Orlando.

I can't see any reason the Big 12 - especially Texas - would agree to such a plan.

Still, if true, it shows ESPN true colors.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 09-22-2012 at 09:00 AM.

I don't think the Big 12 wants to split the pie.

Realistically, if ESPN and the Big XII(-II) wanted to kill the Big East, they don't need all of UConn, L'ville, USF & Rutgers leaving. The departure of UConn & L'ville would take are of that. USF & Rutgers are quite frankly irrelevant here. We need the first 2 to survive as a viable hybrid conference. We don't need the other 2, although it would be nice if USF left the Sun Dolls behind.
    Last edited by MayorBeluga; 09-22-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast