Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucks fire Griffin

I'd go for Becky Hammon. Runs the fastest tempo and highest efficiency offense in the WNBA, also the highest efficiency defense. Sat next to Popovich for 9 years, then after getting passed over for NBA gigs went to the WNBA and had the league's best record two straight seasons and won two straight titles, going 16-3 in the playoffs.

They won't hire her, but she's the right person for the job and where the list should start and end.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I'd go for Becky Hammon. Runs the fastest tempo and highest efficiency offense in the WNBA, also the highest efficiency defense. Sat next to Popovich for 9 years, then after getting passed over for NBA gigs went to the WNBA and had the league's best record two straight seasons and won two straight titles, going 16-3 in the playoffs.

They won't hire her, but she's the right person for the job and where the list should start and end.
    I mean, a franchise with a tight window to win another title should put all their eggs in being the first pro sports franchise to hire a woman as a HC? There’s no better option? Based on what, sitting next to a successful coach for a few years?

You sound like her agent! Lol

What are the other options? Honestly? Doc Rivers, who has underachieved repeatedly with elite talent? Budenholzer again, who would've been fired had he not come back from down 2-0 twice?

There is no surefire bet. But there's the person who's been the best candidate in the league for years and has been passed up repeatedly because of her gender, then went and dominated the best job she could get. If Hammon was a man, she would already have a HC job in the NBA, there is zero doubt of that.

There are two reasons to not hire her: sexism and fear.

Yes, I'm afraid to hire another rookie head coach. Male or female.

TNT crew (via CNN) reporting Doc Rivers has accepted the Milwaukee Bucks coaching position.

Now there are reports that it's not Doc.

I'm guessing it will end up being Doc and they don't want to announce it so soon.

I don't know that you throw Becky Hammon into this whirlwind. It was bad enough with one first time head coach. I'd prefer Doc who has seen it all in the NBA. Atkinson seems like another potential. I think he was the runner up to Griffin and seems to be pretty innovative.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Bill Simmons apparently said it was Doc and they had a podcast together, so if it's not pen to paper done, it still seems likely that an agreement has been reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    What are the other options? Honestly? Doc Rivers, who has underachieved repeatedly with elite talent? Budenholzer again, who would've been fired had he not come back from down 2-0 twice?

There is no surefire bet. But there's the person who's been the best candidate in the league for years and has been passed up repeatedly because of her gender, then went and dominated the best job she could get. If Hammon was a man, she would already have a HC job in the NBA, there is zero doubt of that.

There are two reasons to not hire her: sexism and fear.
    Look, I have no doubt that sexism plays a role here. But it's also a clear unknown element. She is a very good coach, but she took over a Las Vegas team that had back to back years as the first seed in the WNBA Western Conference - a proven veteran team. Yes, she took them to the next level, but that's really no different than what Bud did in Milwaukee.

My point isn't that she's a bad coach or doesn't deserve her chance on an NBA bench. But you are claiming something as a slam dunk when there are other factors involved.

And like MuFan12, I think this is a bad place to put a rookie coach. I'm not a huge fan of Doc as a coach, but he is a great locker room guy, and my guess is they need that right now more than anything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast