Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ND to ACC Has Legs to It

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Adding the $50 million exit fee to prevent the Big 12 from taking FSU and Clemson. Now if the Big 12 wants to expand their only targets would be Cincy & Louisville or BYU & someone from out West.

If the Big 12 is set on going back to 12, it does not look good for the Big East.

I simply don't think UL or UC is valuable enough to the B12 to split the pie two additional ways for the sake of a championship game. Those revenues will never add up.

I agree, and I have broken out the numbers here before, but it keeps coming up. Maybe they want 12 because of their brand, maybe they want 12 because they promised the networks they would go back to 12. Either way, this is a huge kick in the nuts to the Big East.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    No way to spin this one other than the ACC really is determined to eliminate the Big East, why else would they want 15 teams?

Look at their conference.....

Boston College (Big East defector)
    Clemson
    Duke
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Maryland
    Miami (Big East defector)
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    Notre Dame (Big East defector)
    Pittsburgh (Big East defector)
    Syracuse (Big East defector)
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech (Big East defector)
    Wake Forest

6 teams poached from the Big East. That is not a coincidence.

It's not a coincidence, but I think you are overstating their intent. Their primary intent isn't to "destroy the Big East." Their primary intent is to make themselves stronger through expansion....and where else are they going to get their teams from?

I would hardly call them a "non-football member" when they have to play 5 ACC teams a year though - they'll have to jettison some of their traditional Midwest rivals - I assume they won't stop playing USC. Seems like their football schedule will be much less sexy.

When does the BE as we know it totally implode and MU has to look at a B-Ball only conference while hopefully retaining the BE name, MSG etc.?

Hope we continue to play ND each year after they leave the BE. I hate football!!!!!!

This will be a big test for Larry Williams. People can say what they want about the value of Notre Dame to the BIG EAST but this is a huge blow. I hope Larry has been clued in to this for quite a long period of time since he is close to the ND administration. Time for us to band with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and DePaul and figure this out. There is no soft sell here, it is a big threat to the existrence of the BIG EAST.

D-A-M-N. This really, really sucks. Always wanted to stay aligned with Notre Dame.

Now what? It's really getting to the point for me that I'm about ready to break away and form the non-football conference (and add a combination of Xavier, Dayton, Butler, Creighton, etc. etc.). Louisville and UConn are clearly elite hoops programs that I'd hate to break away from....but they are gone at their first opportunity. Isn't it worth breaking away and having a conference that will essentially be immune to any further expansion?

Larry Williams should convince ND to insist that the ACC takes Marquette on for basketball and Olympic sports. Helps ND's travel budget and brings the basketball to 16 teams. If he can do that, he will have earned his keep. One can always dream.

ACC may still look to grab another basketball only school to even their numbers out...Georgetown, St. Johns or Villanova look like options.

What hurts here is the possible bowl tie in for the Big East with ND as a member.

If I am Florida State / Clemson I really consider moving to the Big 12 now before the ACC gets everyone to sign off on upping the ante to $50 mil to leave the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorCandelino View Post
    Larry Williams should convince ND to insist that the ACC takes Marquette on for basketball and Olympic sports. Helps ND's travel budget and brings the basketball to 16 teams. If he can do that, he will have earned his keep. One can always dream.
    This is our best option, BUT, I think Georgetown would stand at the front of this line with ACC.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast