Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budenholzer Fired

Budenholzer Fired

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1654242113176104965

They better get it right with the new coach. Jay Wright is one of my phone calls (even if he has no interest and college coaches haven't assimilated well to the NBA game).

Nick Nurse, after Kawhi and a title in 2019, has disappointed with a roster considered to have a lot of natural talent.

Charles Lee, considered one of the top assistants around the league and already familiar with the team.

Giannis has a PO just 2 years from now for the 25-26 season. Can't screw this up.

Coach Bud's refusal to use the remaining time out in regulation of Game 5 was inexcusable. No adjustments throughout the series and blew a 14-point lead in the 4th in Game 4 and a 16-point lead in the 4th in Game 5.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 05-04-2023 at 05:43 PM.

You can't spend into the luxury tax, have top players primed for a couple year run, and accept the blown series against the Heat.

As you said, they need to get this coaching hire right. Not sure who is the next Spolestra, but that guy can coach.

Reports on tv today that Marc Jackson was interviewed. Kind of a "woof" interview as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Reports on tv today that Marc Jackson was interviewed. Kind of a "woof" interview as far as I'm concerned.
    I think Mark Jackson falls into the category of "window dressing".....guys that will be interviewed and announced in the media but aren't being taken real seriously to become the next head coach. Despite Budenholzer's struggles in the playoffs, he was considered one of the top coaches in the NBA with a championship to show for it. I believe the Bucks had the best regular season record from 18-19 through 22-23. Too many issues come playoff time outside of 2021.

A lot of the names being mentioned, quite frankly, would be downgrades or lateral moves at best from Budenholzer:

Frank Vogel
    Mark Jackson
    Scott Brooks
    Nick Nurse
    Monty Williams
    Kenny Atkinson
    Mike D'Antoni

Two highly regarded, young assistants that might become very good head coaches: Charles Lee (Milwaukee) and Chris Quinn (Miami). However, not sure the Bucks can take that risk at this point.

Reports that the Bucks will consider currently active head coaches makes sense, these owners leave no stone unturned and want the best. They have arguably the best player in the NBA as an enticement (5 straight seasons unanimous 1st-Team All-NBA).

(1) Steve Kerr. Could you entice Kerr to leave a 35-year-old Curry for a 28-year-old Giannis? Kerr is under contract through 23-24 along with Green and Thompson (could you trade for Kerr). Constant talk about the Warriors run finally being over? Draymond Green and Klay Thompson are slowing down. No real major, young talent in the pipeline. Traded the 2020 2nd overall pick James Wiseman in-season. Kerr might love the Bay area and have no interest leaving, but I think these are the types of swings the Bucks organization will be taking behind the scenes.

(2) Jay Wright. Always a risk hiring a coach whose entire experience has been at the collegiate level. Regardless, would be an exciting hire and bring more energy/presence to the sideline. Budenholzer started to physically look worn down and tired. However, if Philly fires Doc, that could be the perfect place for Jay to slide into (if interested at all in the NBA).

(3) Billy Donovan. Hasn't necessarily had a lot of success, but I think with top talent (Giannis, Jrue, Khris) would show his strengths as a coach and have greater success.

(4) Tyronn Lue. Gets a lot of praise for making adjustments in-game (Budenholzer's weakness) and relating well with NBA players.

(5) Will Hardy, current Utah Jazz head coach, former Celtics lead assistant. Could you pry him away in a trade? Utah exceeded expectations for a franchise in rebuilding mode.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Two highly regarded, young assistants that might become very good head coaches: Charles Lee (Milwaukee) and Chris Quinn (Miami). However, not sure the Bucks can take that risk at this point.

Reports that the Bucks will consider currently active head coaches makes sense, these owners leave no stone unturned and want the best. They have arguably the best player in the NBA as an enticement (5 straight seasons unanimous 1st-Team All-NBA).

(1) Steve Kerr. Could you entice Kerr to leave a 35-year-old Curry for a 28-year-old Giannis? Kerr is under contract through 23-24 along with Green and Thompson (could you trade for Kerr). Constant talk about the Warriors run finally being over? Draymond Green and Klay Thompson are slowing down. No real major, young talent in the pipeline. Traded the 2020 2nd overall pick James Wiseman in-season. Kerr might love the Bay area and have no interest leaving, but I think these are the types of swings the Bucks organization will be taking behind the scenes.

(2) Jay Wright. Always a risk hiring a coach whose entire experience has been at the collegiate level. Regardless, would be an exciting hire and bring more energy/presence to the sideline. Budenholzer started to physically look worn down and tired. However, if Philly fires Doc, that could be the perfect place for Jay to slide into (if interested at all in the NBA).

(3) Billy Donovan. Hasn't necessarily had a lot of success, but I think with top talent (Giannis, Jrue, Khris) would show his strengths as a coach and have greater success.

(4) Tyronn Lue. Gets a lot of praise for making adjustments in-game (Budenholzer's weakness) and relating well with NBA players.

(5) Will Hardy, current Utah Jazz head coach, former Celtics lead assistant. Could you pry him away in a trade? Utah exceeded expectations for a franchise in rebuilding mode.

Here is another one to add to the list, Monty Williams.

https://sports.yahoo.com/monty-willi...165931448.html

First phone call should be to Erik Spoelstra. Make him say no. I'd for sure take a chance on Jay Wright. I like Monty Williams. Steve Kerr....no thank you. Really, no thank you.

More on Chris Quinn:

"Ask Heat insiders who most embodies the team's culture, and Quinn is commonly the answer (one league source affectionately referred to Quinn as Spoelstra's 'mini-me' for his temperament and organizational skills). He's an emotionally stable leader who inspires confidence in players, as revealed when he filled in for Spoelstra as head coach for a stint in March and April. Quinn received his first interview for a head-coach job with Indiana in 2020, while Washington gave him a look in 2021."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-williams-buzz

https://www.si.com/nba/heat/miami-ne...-coaching-tree
    Last edited by mufan2003; 05-15-2023 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    First phone call should be to Erik Spoelstra. Make him say no. I'd for sure take a chance on Jay Wright. I like Monty Williams. Steve Kerr....no thank you. Really, no thank you.
    Spoelstra is the best coach and it isn't close. I think we have 3 titles if Spoelstra had been our coach over the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Spoelstra is the best coach and it isn't close. I think we have 3 titles if Spoelstra had been our coach over the last five years.
    100% agree. Only problem is that the Heat organization is like a family (Riley, Mourning, Spoelstra), you don't just leave. If it is for a promotion, yes, but not for a lateral move.

Spoelstra started as a video coordinator with Miami and worked his way up. I get the sense there is tremendous loyalty from Spoelstra towards the Heat organization.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast