Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Deadline - Feb 9

Bucks add Crowder and offset the salary by moving Ibaka, Hill and Nwora.
    Seems there are also a bunch of second rounders flying around, so not sure what the end result of that will be, but where the Bucks pick, second rounder is the same as an undrafted free agent.

Basically, added Crowder for guys that don't play. He is a prototypical playoff guy (tough D), and should help against Boston.

I had to travel today and got a chance to listen to Sirius XM NBA Radio in the hours leading up to the deadline. Crazy, one of the busier deadlines I can remember.

Already Rui Hachimura to the Lakers. Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant head West. The Lakers adding D'Angelo Russell, Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt and Mo Bamba in 24 hours. Golden State trading #2 overall pick James Wiseman to Detroit, Detroit sending Saddiq Bey to Atlanta and Gary Payton II back to Golden State. Crowder eventually happening for Milwaukee. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-nba-tr...ine-buzz-feb-9

The West is so loaded now with stars. Brooklyn drops off as a contender in the East, and they probably knew they weren't good enough to beat Boston or Milwaukee and maybe throw in Philly.

This was a really good day for Milwaukee. The power of having a franchise player, a unicorn like Giannis (only 28), is a magnet to draw in other players wanting to win a ring. The NBA has become all about "back channels" and valuable players can practically force their team's hand when they want out.

The Bucks' depth chart is ridiculous now. The eventual starting five are all high quality, 2-way players. When the playoffs roll around, my guess at how the depth chart looks:

1-Holiday
    2-Middleton
    3-Crowder
    4-Giannis
    5-Lopez

Portis
    Connaughton
    Ingles
    Carter
    Allen
    Matthews
    Beauchamp

The Bucks will be able to play so many different ways and the reserves' minutes will fluctuate at times based on opponent and needs in that series. It will be about the matchups. If a player misses 2 or 3 games in a series due to injury (Giannis in the 2021 ECF......games 5 and 6), they have quality depth to cover it.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 02-09-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    I had to travel today and got a chance to listen to Sirius XM NBA Radio in the hours leading up to the deadline. Crazy, one of the busier deadlines I can remember.

Already Rui Hachimura to the Lakers. Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant head West. The Lakers adding D'Angelo Russell, Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt and Mo Bamba in 24 hours. Golden State trading #2 overall pick James Wiseman to Detroit, Detroit sending Saddiq Bey to Atlanta and Gary Payton II back to Golden State. Crowder eventually happening for Milwaukee. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-nba-tr...ine-buzz-feb-9

The West is so loaded now with stars. Brooklyn drops off as a contender in the East, and they probably knew they weren't good enough to beat Boston or Milwaukee and maybe throw in Philly.

This was a really good day for Milwaukee. The power of having a franchise player, a unicorn like Giannis (only 28), is a magnet to draw in other players wanting to win a ring. The NBA has become all about "back channels" and valuable players can practically force their team's hand when they want out.

The Bucks' depth chart is ridiculous now. The eventual starting five are all high quality, 2-way players. When the playoffs roll around, my guess at how the depth chart looks:

1-Holiday
    2-Middleton
    3-Crowder
    4-Giannis
    5-Lopez

Portis
    Connaughton
    Ingles
    Carter
    Allen
    Matthews
    Beauchamp

The Bucks will be able to play so many different ways and the reserves' minutes will fluctuate at times based on opponent and needs in that series. It will be about the matchups. If a player misses 2 or 3 games in a series due to injury (Giannis in the 2021 ECF......games 5 and 6), they have quality depth to cover it.
    Not sure Crowder will start, but you are right, we can match-up with almost anyone. Reminds me of the title year when one series Portis didn't play at all, and the next series he was a key reserve.

I think Beauchamp is the only one who won't get good minutes depending on match-ups. He may get time in early rounds to save some legs for later rounds though.

The West is going to be fun to watch.

Crowder will eventually start, assuming he maintains the level of play he displayed in Phoenix, just maybe not in the near-term immediately after the trade. Similar to Middleton who is coming off the bench now (returning from injury) but will be starting again at some point.

Beauchamp, right, he got the bulk of his minutes early in the year when guys were out. He has already fallen out of the rotation as players have returned from injury. A promising, young player though.

Interesting when you look at ages, Crowder (32) is right there with Holiday (32) and Middleton (31). Giannis (28), Portis (27), Connaughton (30), Allen (27). Lopez the oldest at 34. When you see guys like LeBron (38), Chris Paul (37), Durant (34) and Steph Curry (34) still playing at a high level, makes you wonder if the Bucks window is more 3-4 years with this core group versus 1-2 years. Injuries can always change things (knock on wood).

Unless some things change over the next few months, this year is likely the last dance with this core. Brook's staring down a chance to get one more decent contract at age 35, and I'm not sure the Bucks will want to spend that on someone with his injury issues. Middleton is likely in the same boat, I don't see an extension coming from MKE.

I think with two spots you'll see them get aggressive in the buyout market, especially for some scoring punch off the bench. I'm really glad they got the Crowder deal done... having a physical, switchable wing will be huge against Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Unless some things change over the next few months, this year is likely the last dance with this core. Brook's staring down a chance to get one more decent contract at age 35, and I'm not sure the Bucks will want to spend that on someone with his injury issues. Middleton is likely in the same boat, I don't see an extension coming from MKE.

I think with two spots you'll see them get aggressive in the buyout market, especially for some scoring punch off the bench. I'm really glad they got the Crowder deal done... having a physical, switchable wing will be huge against Boston.
    I think the Bucks sign Lopez. Extend the window another couple years, but start limiting his minutes (hard to do this year with so many other injuries). Not sure he will chase much bigger dollars while he fits well here and has a chance to get NBA titles.

Middleton exercises his player option for next year. Then who knows after that when he hits free agency.

Crowder may come back to MKE as well. Seems a number of GMs weren't thrilled with his not playing this year, and I'm not sure he will be able to show enough in the last 20 games and playoffs to get a bigger contract than he currently has now. Add to that he will be 33 heading into next season and I could see a 3 year deal favorable to the Bucks with the third year being an option year.

That would set the Bucks up for at least another couple year run before they have to retool around Giannis.

Nothing is ever a certainty in the NBA, but I would be shocked if this was the last season with the core (Giannis, Middleton, Holiday, Lopez). Yes, the Bucks have contractual issues to resolve with Middleton ($40.3M PO) and Lopez (UFA) after this season.

(1) Lopez: Coach Bud and the organization LOVE Brook and the feelings are mutual. A quote from Brook recently, "I’m so thankful for the opportunity the Bucks gave me five years ago to come here and be a part of something special. We’ve had a great time. I can’t imagine being anywhere else.”

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketba...ve-player-year

Another smart organization (Boston) just gave a 2-year, $20 million extension to Al Horford at age 36. This keeps Horford in Boston through the 24-25 season when he will be 39. Players' longevity seems to be increasing with all of the advances in nutrition, sports science, training, etc. I see Milwaukee doing something similar and giving Brook at least a 2-year deal. The guy has been in DPOY discussions and was in the All-Star reserve discussion. His outside shooting is ideal next to Giannis. This would keep Brook with the Bucks through 24-25 when Giannis has his player option in July of 2025.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/c...act-extension/

(2) Middleton: A guy that is only 31, 6"8", and can score on all 3 levels without relying on athleticism (elevating off the floor) to produce. He just glides around the court and is crafty with his size. My best guess is Khris gets a new 4-year deal and the PO never comes into play. This new deal would have him playing between ages 32-35. Before the MCL sprain last April in the playoffs, Khris has been one of the more available All-Stars in the league. Just has had a tough 12-month stretch. I also think the Bucks were being overly cautious with his return. Looking very good since returning from injury.

Looking at the 2023 Free Agent class, not overly impressive, even more reason to keep Middleton and Lopez.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba...e-next-summer/

The Bucks acquire Crowder's Bird Rights with the trade, Holiday has a PO for 24-25 and Giannis' PO is for 25-26. I just don't think this will be it, yet I really want to see them win it all this season. This roster is loaded with the best player in the NBA.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 02-12-2023 at 01:39 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123