Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 to expand? Yes says Greg Swaim

Big 12 to expand? Yes says Greg Swaim

Greg Swaim is reporting that the Big 12 will be adding 2 more teams. Those under consideration are Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Cincinnati, Louisville or BYU.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I think the Big 12 has it made right now, only sharing the pot 10 ways. Very nice pile of money.

Right now if Texas is undefeated, they will get a national title chance. If they are undefeated and end up losing to Ok State in the championship game, nobody from the conference goes.

If they do expand I would think FSU would be a huge get. They, along with ND, would be one of the few schools that would likely bring enough revenue to ensure member schools don't end up getting less (by delivering the Florida market). ACC has a big buyout.

We need to get this tv contract train rolling so as to not lose Louisville to either the Big 12 or the ACC if the Big 12 takes on Florida State / Clemson.

I don't think the TV contract will keep Louisville from moving. If they get a chance to move to the ACC or Big 12 they will do it. More stability and more presitige.

Hopefully with a better tv deal the exit fee is increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I don't think the TV contract will keep Louisville from moving. If they get a chance to move to the ACC or Big 12 they will do it. More stability and more presitige.
    Correct, and there is a 0% chance of them not moving if they can. I don't care what the new Big East TV is worth. They want out, and they've made it pretty clear. Football now drives everything, and the Big 12 is head and shoulders above the Big East in pigskin. It's a really good hoops league also, so not like they are sacrificing hoops at the expense of football.

Lets hope they stay at 10. If not...is it officially over for the Big East? This hodgepodge experiment to keep things together won't be worth it anymore if any more leave.

Greg Swaim is terrible when it comes to this stuff. That's no offense to IWB for posting this, it's just I have followed all the conference expansion, and I honestly can't remember one instance where Swaim was right with anything he posted, tweeted, etc. And, if I remember correctly, he said this very same thing(the Big XII expanding), awhile back, with the very same teams as possibilities. Plus, it wasn't that long ago, that the BXII emphatically stated they were happy with 10 for the forseeable future. I still don't worry about Louisville going anywhere. they aren't the draw they think they are.

If they expand it's bad for the BE even if they don't steal our schools. Everyone will be leeching off of the Big East until they have filled their conferences with who and what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    If they expand it's bad for the BE even if they don't steal our schools. Everyone will be leeching off of the Big East until they have filled their conferences with who and what they want.
    Good timing - an interview with Louisville AD Tom Juirch just posted online. Listed below are his comments on the Big East. Again...they aren't hiding it, they want out.

11. BOZICH: There is ongoing conversation among Louisville fans about the future, what conference is best for the program. What do you tell fans who are worried about the future?

JURICH: "I think right now what we have to do is the best that we can possibly do. That's all that we can control. I'm a big believer in that. Control what you can control. We can control what's going on at the University of Louisville.

"Obviously if I had a magic wand, things would be a lot different. I don't have that magic wand. On the national landscape, things have to change before we can do it. We can't go anywhere unless they invite us. The only way they can invite us is if we keep doing the right things. The thing that we have to do is be good at everything that we do."

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19430389/b...thletic-season

So, anyone feel comfortable with Larry Williams at the helm during this time? Reading Jurich, that is a stark contrast to me - not entirely fair, I admit, as Jurich has been around much longer. But that was the decision that the BOD made ...

Any more departures from the BE will not be good from a perception standpoint. Right now the league needs to portray a sense of stability, without that it will make it really hard to get a good TV deal... Kind of wish we could just be in a good basketball league, this football crap is getting tiring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast